Best way of tackling a comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Best way of tackling a comprehension

Post by DIY Mum »

TP123 wrote:Wow - that seems harsh. Can't say the Essex 15th century literature papers aimed at A'level standard students is any easier.

Yes, I agree. I remembering preparing my son for the CSSE exam a couple of years ago and feeling shocked at the level of reading required for the English exam... a previous comprehension paper featured Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy ( I studied that at A'Level) :shock:

It's not as if DS hasn't been exposed to great literature (actually one of the reasons we have a great library at home is due to his insatiable hunger for books). Some of his favourites a couple of years ago included 'To kill a Mockingbird' and don't ask me why...'Pride and Prejudice' :roll:

He passed KEGs (CEM and CSSE exams) but out of all the exams, the CSSE English exam was the more difficult !!!
Mr Benn

Re: Best way of tackling a comprehension

Post by Mr Benn »

Mike / Optimist , thanks for the very informative replies.

I just wish the Education dept were as helpful . They seem to revel in the 'we know something you dont' situation. When they were trying to be evasive about the make-up of the test, they didnt like me pointing out that Alcester had listed the exact breakdown of the exam :lol:

Im trying to make my own 45 minute tests based on what we know. As it seems there is a lot of multiple choice questions, which the Bond books dont have, Im going to get some test papers from WHSmith today , unless I can find any online quickly.

Ive also made-up a comprehension for her to try, based on one of her own books.