Haydn Richards English Books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elizabeth

Re: Haydn Richards English Books

Post by Elizabeth »

I have several different editions and they really seem to be the same.
It is just a newer book.
I noticed that some of the page orders have changed but the content such as the comprehensions remain the same.
Some of my editions have the answers and some do not - I am not entirely sure why that is!
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams
um

Post by um »

Someone kindly lent me a copy of the Haydn Richards books to look through, but I decided that they were not as useful or comprehensive as the First Aid in English was, and I have stuck with this, using it alongside a few others such as the Bond 'No Nonsense' English, which has good comprehensions as well as other exercises.
haydn Richard's were also not presented as clearly or as well as First Aid is, and although this may seem like a petty point, to a 9 or 10 year old used to crisp, good quality graphics, I fear Haydn could be a turn-off for what many children already find a pretty turgid subject. I have been impressed by First Aid - it has a lot of relevant info and exercises. The answer book is purchased separately, though.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

11+ novice wrote:Optimist,
I would love to know your response as i did not buy the 1980's editions since i thought they did not have answers. Pls do let me know how you find them.

Thanks
Well, I have just received Haydyn Richards Junior 2, and only one page is different. Ah, well at least DS1 and DS2 will have a copy each! :oops:
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thanks Optimist for the response.

Got book 3 and 4 from amazon, like them a lot! Short quick excercises to dip in and out.Excellent!
Not sure yet whether to get book 1 &2 as well!
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

11+ novice wrote:Thanks Optimist for the response.

Got book 3 and 4 from amazon, like them a lot! Short quick excercises to dip in and out.Excellent!
Not sure yet whether to get book 1 &2 as well!

Hi 11+ novice

I have just got Books 1 and 4 from 1981. They are markedly (but not significantly) different from Books 1 and 4 (that were published in 1997).

That being said, I will use the 1981 editions for Books 1-4 (answers included with all). I prefer all things, traditional.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now