Handwriting

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

flicka

Re: Handwriting

Post by flicka »

Hi, I'm an old mum and I was taught non joined up hand writing till I was seven, then joined up - I forget the style, but it was some lady's name, who had invented it. It was very logical and I had very neat handwriting, and won prizes at school, plus I can write fast. I don't think they teach this method any more (not totally sure but don't seem able to find it on the net when I search, but not knowing the real name of it is a minus) but I think they should bring it back.
People still complement me on my good handwriting even now.
So if you are taught well, you will keep good handwriting for life.
Bad handwriting is laziness usually, or lack of pride in how you appear. Everyone can aspire to having neat legible handwriting - there is no earthly reason not to have it.
Having said that, my DS's handwriting is attrocious, but I put that down to the above - laziness. Not that I've found a cure yet, but I'm working on it. Pointing out that an examiner does need to be able to read what he has written seems not to work as he just protests that HE can read it!
Flicka
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Marion Richardson?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I'm aware that joined up writing is more elegant and attractive but, judging by some family letters dated back to the turn of the last century, it doesn't necessarily make it legible.
I'm not a fan of it either and at secondary school we spend hours trying to decipher what someone has written. I hate the fact that kids are forced to practise cursive writing even when it is clear that no one is benefitting from it. We often advise children to try going back to printing letters rather than joining them up but, by then, the damage has been done.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I have decided today that my DD is far better off writing normally again, none of her writing is legible since being forced to do it, so it is going away :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Excellent plan. Could I suggest that maybe during the summer holiday you make a really pleasurable activity out of it? Go to a shop that has lots of different types of pen e.g. the pink stabilo handwriting pens that force you to hold the pen correctly. Let your daughter choose a beautiful book that she would love to write in. Buy some handwriting exercises etc, and maybe also a calligraphy set. Find some handwriting videos on youtube and teacherstv that show the correct penhold. Separate out handwriting from work ........ make it an artform for a while.

Before the summer holiday, maybe one or both parents / carers can learn to write joined up in the school's style. Your daughter will probably find it very amusing watching you learn to do it. Then you will be able to write out beautiful joined up things that are of personal interest to her which she can copy in her beautiful book ......... bet it's a Hello Kitty one.

Good luck.

ps I discovered only recently that my daughter was not holding her pen correctly - she could write joined up beautifully but her hand tired very easily. She did not explain to me that this was the reason why she did not like writing things down. When I bought her a pink handwriting pen that forces you to hold it correctly, and some lined file paper, and a hello kitty folder she sat there for hours writing three days in row. Hasn't written since ........ but never mind!!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks for the great advice Mystery, shall certainly do those things during the break, a chance to actually try and get enjoying it.