How best to approach English prep?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

How best to approach English prep?

Post by Manana »

DS will be taking the Essex 11+ next November (Y4 now) and I wondered what the best way was to approach our prep. For the VR-we are working through the IPS question types and then will be using the excellent list of resources posted on here. For maths-we are working through the Bond third papers and then I am honing in on any areas that he's struggling with or hasn't covered at school yet. I wondered what the best bet for English was though-we have done the second Bond English and are currently doing the Bond Comprehension, but I'm not sure whether to just cover things as they crop up if he struggles or would it be best to cover 'topics' like apostophes then antonyms/synonyms on a weekly basis using eg the Haydn books?

What have others on here found works best? I'm not doing tonnes and tonnes with him, I hasten to add-we work through something on each of the three areas every week, probably doing an hour/hour+ a half a week in total, but (in teacher mode!) I wanted a bit of structure in my weekly planning!
yoyo123

Re: How best to approach English prep?

Post by yoyo123 »

There are some really good antonym/synonym/homonym games online, Haydn, while useful, can be a a bit boring, why not try sneaking some games in and then maybe it won't seem so onerous.

Try Woodlands Junior site also try googling antonym etc
Manana

Re: How best to approach English prep?

Post by Manana »

yoyo123 wrote:There are some really good antonym/synonym/homonym games online, Haydn, while useful, can be a a bit boring, why not try sneaking some games in and then maybe it won't seem so onerous.

Try Woodlands Junior site also try googling antonym etc
Thanks, Yoyo-I wouldn't have solely used the Haydn, I meant I'd use it to pick topics from-but Woodlands is a good resource.

I just wondered what tutors/other parents did? Would you just do Bond and do extra work on weaker areas, or work through the English areas in addition?

Thank you for your reply-you give some great advice on here :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now