Short story collections

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Short story collections

Post by fatbananas »

Can anyone recommend any short story collections for me? Realise that my DS never reads short stories and therefore cannot get the structure of them in his head. All the books he reads are as long-winded as the stories he writes (and, hence, never finishes) in class.

I do already have Half Minute Horrors and the OUP collection of 4 short story books by Louise Cooper/ Kevin Crossley Holland and Maggie Pearson, but most of them have a scary/ spooky element to them and he won't read those without me being with him and it being daylight (!), so I need ones he can get on with on his own without mummy monster being near 8) !!

Any recommendations would be really appreciated.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Re: Short story collections

Post by scarlett »

Hi Fb...can't think of any off the top of my head ( quick reply for you as I hate seeing no replies to a problem ! ) but have you had a good browse in Waterstones ? I spend ages in there as there are so many lovely books, some of which I've never seen before. I did notice in my local Sussex bookshop there are a few collection type books knocking around, for Christmas I suppose .I can't remember how old DS is, but my DS had a few Usborne books called Stories about dragons, knights etc , which he liked, not sure if a bit young for yours though.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

You could try Graham Greene eg The Destructors or Stan Barstow.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

First Aid in English Reader books A-D have some lovely short stories (with comp. questions also).
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you for all your replies. Thanks for not leaving me hanging, Scarlett! DS is year 3. When half term is over I will go into Waterstones but the thought of going in there with the kids this week, when I will be BEGGED, badgered and beseeched to get yet another £20 Lego 'book', drains me :roll: :lol:

Thanks Ourmam. I now have a Stan Barstow collection in my Amazon basket. Might've got there a bit quicker, had I not typed in Stan BARLOW and got a whole load of Coronation Street biogs/ annuals :shock: !

And those First Aid Readers. As soon as I saw the one with the polar bear on the cover, I was taken back to my time at school! But I didn't realise I was that old - one Amazon reviewer said they were written in the '40s! They look great, so they are also now winging their way here.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Oh Fatbananas I'm sorry, I didn't realise he was only in Year 3. :oops: I think save the Barlow and Greene for a bit. I used to be a secondary English teacher so my mind automatically moved to that setting. :(
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Don't worry: I've already got the Graham Greene collection and was reading them in bed at too late an hour last night. I shall enjoy reading the Barstow until DC are ready for them! :)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

:lol:

I love Graham Greene! :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well we'd never have guessed that would we!! My username gives nothing away.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I read Teddy Robinson to my DCs when they were younger. Its not a book of short stories, but each chapter has an adventure of its own (and I just wanted to mention this favourite book of mine!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now