Yet another thread on books for boys but slightly different!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: YET ANOTHER thread on books for boys but slightly differ

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi fatbananas, :D

When my DS was in KS1, he went to the theatre with his school to watch Danny , the champion of the world. We read the book and really enjoyed it! It is one of the books by Roald Dahl that I appreciate, as I can't bear some of them. It's funny, witty and very well written...

For your DS, I thought also about Lassie by Eric Knight. But maybe he would be sadden by the hardships Lassie has to go through to find back his master?

The Dick King-Smith books are certainly safe books in this respect and very gripping and funny.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

is danny the champion of the world a good read for an eleven year old or too easy would you advise please?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, DS loves all the Roald Dahl's. He hasn't read Boy yet, but I think that is a bit more 'grown up' (though I don't know because I haven't read it yet!).

Danny Champion of the world would probably make an entertaining read for an 11 year old but would probably not be 'challenging'.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Sorry, I wrote my opinion while fatbanas was doing the same. I post mine anyway :wink:
poiuyt wrote:is danny the champion of the world a good read for an eleven year old or too easy would you advise please?
Hi poiuyt!,

In my opinion ( and it is just my humble opinion, I would be happy to hear the opinion of people disagreeing :wink: ), a good book , well written and with a good plot, can be read at any age...

So yes, I would give it a try for an 11 year old boy as this stoy can appeal to boys (I don't think it would be too childish). It might not stretch your child in term of vocabulary as books for teenagers might (if they are well written :!: ) but it is also nice for kids to read 'easy' books from time to time.

Plz, if your DS does read it, could you tell us what he thought about it (via you)? :wink:
Once he has read it, he could watch the film too!
um wrote:I know what you mean about Harry Potter. ds1 is so sensitive, he refused to read them, saying they were too scary. I had to read them myself :lol:
Um, did you enjoy Harry Potter? :D
I remember, when I was little, reading and rereading books I loved...books like Sans Famille, La Boume! :wink:
um

Post by um »

Danny the Champion of the World is one of my very favourite books - and definitely Roald Dahl's best.

I would recommend it for any age...even teens!

Yes, Harry Potter is very absorbing, but also admittedly pretty dark...
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

The Firework Maker's Daughter by Pullman is brilliant, and my boys loved it at that age (don't be put off by female protagonist.) I haven't investigated them but he has written some others for that age group - also highly rated.

Try:
Charlotte's Web
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Blackhearts in Battersea - a classic
The Silver Sword - it has dark moments but is ultimately uplifting
Thief by Malorie Blackman is interesting. Slow start but gets gripping.
Hammy the Wonder Hamster - not taxing but very enjoyable - about a hamster who swallows a microchip and becomes super-brainy and communicative. Very cute.

How about the abridged versions of Just William - again they were a favourite in our house in Yr 3.

Have you tried some of Horowitz's Diamond Brothers Series? They're not nearly as scary as the Alex Rider books.