English Comprehension-URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Re: English Comprehension-URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

Post by fatbananas »

I'd also agree with Um and Ourmam. We've got the Schofield and Sims, though not started on them yet, but they do look very manageable in length and yet challenging.

The CGP texts are quite long but what I like about them is that the question types: 'inference' etc are deliberately explained and laid out separately for each text - a bit like how you need to learn the 'types' for nvr etc. - which I think helps at the beginning, when you're learning how to answer the different sorts of question. I find this helps me know what I'm doing when I'm going through the passages with my DC, let alone him! We've only just started on comprehensions in the last couple of months and often only do one or maybe two question types per passage and then come back to it.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

um wrote:If your child likes Alex Rider, he might like the notion of being a 'detective' himself.

That is all that comprehension actually is - being a text detective, picking up on the hidden clues, and using your powers of inference and deduction. This is one of the premises on which I teach comprehension. It is about being 'mindful' or aware of things. Even with my 2 year old, I try to get him to notice things around him and think about them. (As in, why did that goose snap at that duck when your threw the bread? How does the duck feel? What will the duck do now? etc)
I also show children pictures and photographs, asking them to tell me what is happening/why the boy looks sad/ what the photographer's intention is, etc.

The Schofield and Sims comprehension books are very rigorous and I like them because their texts are usually shorter and more digestible than the Bond comprehension papers, therefore building up confidence gradually.
:D
nikku

Post by nikku »

Hi All
Great posts, thank you
My DS loves Alex Rider
I will use the Detective method!
I am also about to sit with my 7 yr old DD and discuss the pictures I have asked her to draw- a character and a scene, I hope this helps with composition as well as comprehension!

Thank you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now