grammar question

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

meg

grammar question

Post by meg »

Hi

I am looking to grammar schools next year (child in year 5) and trying to brush up grammar skills. What punctuation do they cover in the NFER English papers? Do I just need to worry about simple stuff like apostrophes, commas, speech marks or do we need to cover colons, semi-colons etc.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Meg,

In general would cover all bases, if totally unsure.
There is also a good book entitled '11+ English', which will help cover a broad range of English aspects, including some advise on grammar and punctuation.

Good luck

BW
meg

Post by meg »

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Have just been reviewing primary/bbc website for grammar worksheets/info. I was hoping I didn't have to cover everything. Just being lazy I guess.
katel

Post by katel »

Where are you? The papers vary by LEA - here in Kent there isn't a specific English paper, although I know in some LEAs there is.
meg

Post by meg »

Katel

Looking at QE boys Barnet (Barnet LEA). Reading posts here the opinion seems to be that they use NFER English papers and there is a grammar section in the paper. I was really trying to find out what to expect in this section ie how broad/narrow should our/my revision be. A bit scared as it was never my strong point at school
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Try googling the various topics, there is a lot of good stuff out there onthe net. BBC sites are really good and make it fun too.

One word of caution, check the activities first as many of teh sites use american english!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now