Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: English practice papers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:51 am 

In his 11+ my DS will have an English paper which consists of a comprehension with about 20 questions, followed by an essay/story writing. Are there any practice papers that follow this format?
If not I'm planning on setting my own essay question and finding some comprehension exercises. We have been using Schofield and Sims, but these tend to have fewer than 20 questions, so while they are good practice they are not as close to the real thing as I would like! So does anyone know of any other good comprehension books which might be better to use as we get closer to the test?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hi Storm, we downloaded papers from the indie schools ie St Albans girls and boys, City of London, HABS, Manchester Grammar etc. There is alot available out there if you look, these were better than any books as they were actual tests and I could see which sort of areas my son was struggling with. Most also have a continuation story as well for children to complete if your son will need these for his exams. Good luck

Hi Just wanted to add we also used the Hayden books which were quite good as the comp is short, however you would have to get your child to think about continuing the stories yourself as it is only comp and grammar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

Thank you Copella for those suggestions. I will take a look at those schools! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

Is your entrance exam essay a continuation of the comp or a different title.? DAO past exam papers have about 10 comp questions and then continue the story. DG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 am 

He will have a selection of titles to choose from, some fiction some non fiction and about half an hour to write the essay/story. He may be given the first line of a story to continue, but not a continuation of the comprehension.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:48 pm 

I would still recomend the DAO papers for the comprehension and the essay. Also CSSE but they are sold with the maths papers from the website. DG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:29 am 

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will check out all these. :D