Story Writing Ideas

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DaddyNo1

Story Writing Ideas

Post by DaddyNo1 »

Hi All

I wanted some story writing ideas for a 8 year old an 11 year old.

I plan to get them to write one story a week over the summer holiday in addition to a little maths work so their brains don't fall asleep over the long holiday. :lol:

The 11 year old starts GS in September and I really want to make sure his brain doesn't need a jump start as it's a very selective school and he was lucky to get through the wait list.

Any websites or ideas you can give would be greatly appreciated. I'll need 6 for each.

Thanks in advance.
mystery

Re: Story Writing Ideas

Post by mystery »

Well I wondered if you could ask them to come up with a list of ideas themselves? They might have some ideas that they are burning to write about that cannot be fitted in to the school titles. Or they might prefer to write their own chapter book? Or a play? Or a diary? Or non-fiction?

They might prefer to do it on the computer instead of handwriting etc etc. As it's a summer project you could go to town a bit and have some flexibility and creativity in there too. If they are in the scouts there might be a relevant badge which gets them going? Or someone on here might know of a website they could publish their work on?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm sure there's a Fatbananas thread on this and I'm in a rush so don't have time to go into detail, but grab a few postcards, magazine pics and ask the five questions: who? what? why? when? where? to get started. :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

There is! 8) See below DaddyNo1!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =1&t=23771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
DaddyNo1

Post by DaddyNo1 »

Good evening all

Many thanks for your contribution to this thread. I really appreciate it. There's some great ideas and info.

I'm going to use the pictures idea - give them a selection to choose from and write a story connecting them. I think I'll have them hand write the stories so its a good practice for hand writing and keep a check on the spelling. Think i'll take them to the shops to buy an a4 hard back note book each (let them choose a fancy book) so they can get excited. If all goes to plan I should have 6 stories from each child and we can "publish" them and give to family as gifts. They can even illustrate them I could scan in their drawings. I'm now getting excited - this could be really good fun!.....I'll come back to let you know how it goes... :D