New English Sats Paper (level 6)

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Re: New English Sats Paper (level 6)

Post by countrymum »

TraffordMum wrote:K i t c h e n has recently become a banned word because of all the spam - very persistent these room-which-you-cook-in sellers are!

Re Sats results. Whilst the school you are appealing for does hold its appeals late on in the summer term I am pretty sure that the SATs results won't have been given to the primary school before the appeal. However, your school will have been able to give their teacher assessed SATs results to the grammar school, as part of the appeal documentation. It's perfectly possible for your daughter to be teacher assessed as a Level 6.
Thanks TM, I really don't know how the teacher assessed Sats results thing works? Or indeed what that actually is? Is it like a mock, almost like an expected result? When it comes to asking them for the up to date paper work ( if we indeed go ahead and appeal) do I just ask for her 'Teacher Assessed Sats Results' after March 1st.

PS I shall be more careful with the K word from now on :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

ginx wrote:Countrymum

I feel kind of guilty my dd has "passed" if she has - because it doesn't sound as if she is as bright as your dd, or other dc on here. When I listen to dp's listing books their dc read, and sats levels, I do sometimes think my dd isn't as "clever" as them. For example, her teacher said she "should reach" a level 5 - not "would reach" or "is already working at". Then I think how unfair it is that she has "passed" and some dc on here haven't. It doesn't seem fair. Our school isn't doing level 6 literacy because only one child in the whole of Warwickshire (our county) got it last year. Apparently.

If your dd is among a couple of others doing level 6, won't her school tell whoever hears the appeal - so they will know school consider her capable of it.

She sounds in with a good chance to me. Sadly I'm not the one making decisions. It must be a stressful time and a long wait for you, no wonder you're counting the hours!

I still think of you sitting in your large farmhouse, perhaps with a jug of cider, (or home made lemonade) in your country k i t c h e n with a real fire and aga, do you wear an apron? I imagine you do. I imagine it to be very rustic and pretty. With your animals round you. Dogs, cats, ponies. Rivers, streams, shetland ponies, sheep, hopefully no wolves or those horrid urban foxes!
:lol: Oh Ginx you really are a breath of fresh air amongst this craziness aka the 11+ journey. Please keep it up till at least allocation day :D Your DD deserves her place as much as the next person and has I bet worked hard for it. I think it shows a great deal of empathy to be thinking of others and I commend you for it. I am a bit like you in that way. I do believe it was meant to be for DD and I to experience the other side of the coin, and actually I think we shall both be a better person for it. As they say its not the riding of the bicycle but the falling off and getting back on. If she really, really wants it, then we shall indeed go ahead and appeal, on the understanding that we both know is notoriously hard to win an appeal there, especially a non-qual one and that we probably won't. If she is happy with her allocated school then we may not appeal at all. So many if's and but's I guess. As I mentioned on the Grammar Education thread, actually a selective education goes against my principles a little but am astounded that I have produced a child who is so keen to learn that I could not but shop around with her input, to find a school that suited her. I am feeling much more upbeat and wherever she ends up i know she shall be fine and it shall all work out :D

We are doing an Indie exam too next year, ha ha thought we'd throw another school in the bag, though would need ALOT of financial assistance. Have done no revision or any swotting up for that, so best get a shifty on sometime soon. Bit laid back in this house :wink: Again can't make any decisions until we know outcome of that, and what if any financial help we would get and of course if she gets an offer in the first place. There is another dilemma as decision there would need to be back, although after March 1st, well before any appeal would take place :roll:

Ha, was this thread about English, I always go off on a tangent apologies.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

yoyo123 wrote:grammar, punctuation and spelling have always been tested as part of English
Oh blimey now I am confused, doesn't take much though :wink: So is the test the same or similar, they made out to DD was quite different this year?

Also she'll be doing the level3-5 in the morning and the level6 in the afternoon, seems a bit much to do both in the same day, or is it not?
ginx

Post by ginx »

I thought the test was different this year, but I'm no expert.

Thanks for your kind words about my dd, countrymum. I've just looked at her books and her work is better than I realised.

I do think you are right to examine all options, if you can manage independent school why not. Go for it. If your dd is keen to learn, surely she will do well wherever she is. She will be able to help make decisions, she sounds quite mature.

I guess she reads a lot? I was horrified earlier to discover my dd reading the love stories about Harry Styles on her iPod .... oh dear ... don't think that will help her English ..
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Ha ha Ginx.....hey all work and no play. Harry is rather cute though :wink:

It was her school who suggested this particular indie and mentioned the bursary scheme, maybe we must look poor or something :lol: So we have kind of pursued it. If she passed the priority GS I doubt we would be looking into other options as it was the most practical choice distance/admissions policy wise. What will be will be.

Oh yes, she is a little bookworm, would love to be a writer, and has stacks of books by her bed. Also, which I believe is quite common with enthusiastic writers, she has piles and piles of papers everywhere, all over the house, all with her little words and thoughts. No one, DARE touch her papers, no matter how scruffy they may be. I have occasionally thrown some out ( without thinking) boy, was I told off!

As for the book she is reading, think it is called The Look. Maybe more geared for teen market, may have to google it just to check :wink:
ginx

Post by ginx »

countrymum

would be very grateful if you could let me know of any teenage type books your daughter enjoys.

Bursary sounds excellent idea. Your daughter sounds like a budding author! She can write lots of books, become very rich (who cares about famous) and look after you in your old age! Might suggest it to dd. She could try ...

countrymum, glad you know who Harry Styles is. He's my fav. Not a fan of is it Zane? or Liam? They're probably a quarter of my age. :lol:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

:lol: Zane? Liam? Who are they?

Actually, and I hope this doesn't sound patronising, really isn't meant to, but big extra well done to your DD as I believe from reading your posts she is diabetic. I obviously don't know too much about how this effects daily life, but I imagine stress etc can maybe effect things so for her to have sat the exam, and passed I think jolly well done to her! :D

Books she enjoys to read, although don't know if 'teenage' per say, she does enjoy ones by Cathy Cassidy, She loves all of Michael Morpurgo ones and is reading his 'The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips', Being a bit of an old fashioned girl I love Enid Blyton and the Famous Five/Secret Seven so we have lots of those books which she likes reading oo. Also seems she is a fan of Jacqueline Wilson, I know there are many who don't approve of her books but she seems to get through stacks of those, think they are a nice easy read. She's also getting through all of the Harry Potter books, which we picked up second hand. She loves those!
ginx

Post by ginx »

countrymum

Thanks for the list of books. She's read them all apart from the Michael Morpurgo one - for some reason she doesn't like his books. She devoured Cathy Cassidy, all of Jacqueline Wilson ones we can find (she has a row full on her bookcase) and Enid Blyton. She read Harry Potter a year or so ago. Loved them. She has a sort of library in her room.

She loved Lemony Snickett and the Hunger Games (apologies to those who consider it inappropriate for her age). I gave her the older dc's school books to read but she didn't enjoy Holes or the Boy in Striped Pyjamas nor Lord of the Flies (again, apologies to those who consider it inappropriate).

countrymum/anyone, if your dd is enjoying a certain book, suitable for any age (she still reads Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I'd love to know - I do have a list from here - but anything contemporary or unusual, would be great. I did find a couple of Angelina - remember her? books under her bed!

Yes, she's diabetic. No secret. And I'm very proud she passed the 11+ because she's taken part in a survey to show diabetic children don't perform well at school. The opinion is if diabetics are high or low, as diabetic children often are, they may have problems concentrating. She has only been diagnosed for two years. Life at home is hard. Sweets are a nightmare. When she is high she is particularly horrid. I could go on for hours. Rob Clark on here has been really, really helpful and supportive. So have others.

I'm shocked you don't know who Zane (I think it's Zane) or Liam are?! Ask your dd. Hope you are cooking something tasty today; perhaps some biscuits or a cake, the sort the National Trust sell? :wink:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ginx, have sent you a PM about books.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Tinkers, you couldn't pm me too could you if is book suggestions, am always on the look out for new ones :)

Yes Ginx we have the striped pj's one and the Chinese Cinderella I think it is called, don't know if appropriate or not, but she wants to read them. Think she heard were being studied in high school and wanted a nose. I personally think it is good for them to read books perhaps meant for a younger audience too. I cant remember the exact conversation I had with someone, but they mentioned advanced readers need to grasp and fully understand what they are reading and it is really beneficial to occasionally pick up a 'baby ish' book every so often for a nice relaxing read. She is starting to venture into the classics too. Loved Little women.

Other suggestions I have been looking into....

(Depends on maturity of child and what you think is appropriate)

The Adventures of Hucklebury Finn
Animal Farm
The flame Trees Of Thika
Jayne Eyre
The catcher in the Rye
The diary Of A Young Girl
Gone with The Wind

You do make me chuckle about my imaginary 'country life' :lol: