Emerald Star, Jaqueline Wilson

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Re: Emerald Star, Jaqueline Wilson

Post by ginx »

I had the same dilemma with dd2; to let her carry on reading Jacqueline Wilson's books - or not. She has written loads! I let her read as many as she wanted whilst encouraging her to read other books. I used to go to the library and choose books for her and just leave them on her bed - she would read the Jacqueline Wilson first and then read the other books. She was addicted to Jacqueline Wilson from about years 3 to 5, and still want the latest one (whatever it is), but she went from Jacqueline Wilson, to Lemony Snickett, and now she will try anything. She will still read Jacqueline Wilson.

I don't think it's that bad, any reading is good and to be encouraged. She realised she enjoyed reading them and after a while, got bored with them and moved on. She's in year 6 now. It hasn't hurt her!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, I agree. Reading for pleasure should be encouraged.
mystery wrote:I like ado groupie list but my children do not enjoy reading those books .... But they like listening to them.
Same here for dc quintus...some books are just more 'living' to him than the classics mentioned. First time I gave him a classic to read (which he chose because of the cover) was 'White Fang', and after a couple of minutes, he dozed off! :lol:

He'll read his own type of books (the likes of Star Wars' the Thrawn Trilogy) but because I want him to experience the classic text, we do it together- read aloud to him and discuss it. This way at least he finds it interesting. Half way through the novel, I've found that he'll finish it off independently. :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you put aside the location and era The Secret Garden, The Little Princess and Little Women are full of issues that are very topical, friendship, selfishness, girls at school having much more money to spend on clothes and pretty things, being bullied, feeling lonely and neglected, silly arguments nearly causing tragedy when Amy falls through the ice beause Jo feels spiteful and does not warn her and coping when things go wrong. I write comprehension papers from these books and I am constantly amazed how much Y3/4/5 students can actually understand and respond to. The OP was asking about 11 plus and these are the books that will be used for comprehensions not Jackie Wilson. I don't discount her. I queued in the rain to get tickets to go and see her! But it is not the right level for 11+ preparation. There is so much more out there that is better. DG