Games that increase vocabulary

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alana

Re: Games that increase vocabulary

Post by alana »

The games we played in preparation for the 11+ were bananagrams and articulate. We liked these because the kids had a genuinely fair chance at winning.

Bananagrams is scrabble-like, but much quicker as everyone is playing at the same time. Children can beat adults on their own merit because it is not the best words that win, but who uses up their tiles first. We used it as an opportunity to introduce and discuss more challenging words.

Articulate is more knowledge than vocab, but I think the fact that there is lots of talking going on helps in vocabulary generally. We played kids v adults, with the kids having the junior cards and adults normal cards. We played on the adult board. Despite our best efforts, the kids would normally win - definitely no need to let them.

My DS hardly reads a thing, but has hoodwinked his teachers into believing he is an avid reader because of the maturity of his writing and vocabulary. TBH, I think that it is audio books rather than games that has had this effect. Can't spell though!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now