Multiple choice comprehension books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Multiple choice comprehension books

Post by ToadMum »

No idea - I think that being able to read the passage and get on and answer as many of the questions as you can is thought to be part of the test. :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
um

Post by um »

Daogroupie wrote:The forum shop sells it. Personally I think it is a bit of a ripoff with lots of empty pages to write your comprehension in. We can all get paper, we don't have to pay ten quid for books with empty lined paper to write in. DG
I think you're talking about the writing book by the same company - in which case I would agree.

However the multiple choice comprehension contains a reasonable set of practice comprehension papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

salsa wrote:Hi Mystery,
Did you find something you liked? I'm using Bond 9-10, but it's not multiple choice and my son has not enjoyed the texts so far*. I'm assuming the comprehension part in 2016 will be multiple choice. Who knows!

*(I do like the grammar part, though)
Thanks!
In the end I just used the GL assessment English papers ( 8 of them), some bits of CGP CEM stuff and the English books from the Practise and Pass series. At least all these were multiple choice.

She passed the Kent English paper but I won't ever know whether she lost the marks she did lose on the comprehension or the other English questions so I can't tell you whether my approach was good or not nor how it compared with the actual paper.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you so much. I just wonder if the passages will be classic literature or not. Who knows? He finds the sentence structure of the classics quite difficult. I've subscribed to Bond on line and the first multiple choice extract was ok. I will look into your suggestions. I don't know if I should worry so much about the classics or not. I guess whether it is CEM or GL for 2016, the passages would be short, wouldn't they?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't see the sentence structure of classics as different. What they do offer him is fantastic vocabulary.

Um, thank you. This is a revelation to me! I am off to order it now. DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

They can have very long sentences with several pronouns referring back. They can have a lot of description without much action. (I can think of Lord of the Rings, for example) I can see my son getting lost or bored. He loves, David Walliams and Cressida Cowell, for example and can be reading for hours. He loves funny books or action packed ones, especially if they have monsters in it. However, if we read the books, then it's another matter. We've read him some of the classics and he's enjoyed listening to them. However, he struggles on his own. I do explain when I read and I see he hasn't understood; I provide synonyms on the spot so that he understands. His school reports that he has very good vocabulary. So, I don't know how to make him enjoy the classics when he is reading them. Should I? Do I really need to? He enjoys reading and I don't want to put him off. Any ideas?
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

It is something I also experience with my DS and in the end I had to explain that it might be something he will have to do for his 11+ test.mI have seen a big improvement even though he sometimes is reluctant to read the classics. I just encourage and that is all we can do really. All the best to all our children. And to think I will doing this almost immediately for 2016 DS.