Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: First Aid book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hi All

Everytime I read essential books /material for english, I always see FirstAid book.
Its been 8 months since I bought it and my DS ignores it and managed to complete only first few pages.For some reason DS think its useless.
Can some one shed light on how important it is ? and what are the important chapter/topics he should cover if not the whole book as its too late now.

regards

Post subject: Re: First Aid book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hi, its good for vocab which is in turn good for VR. But if you feel its not working for you there are other books out there for vocab and vocab lists to plough through too.
Good luck on your 11 plus journey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 pm 

It is good book to reach 60-70% level and consolidate basics but not enough for super-selectives i.e. 90%+.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:40 am 

Personally i thing this book is excellent for the synonyms/antonyms, make the fun learning. I've put the words onto bright coloured card and made a game out of the words. My Ds picks a random word out and he has to guess the antonym and synonym to that word, i play it with him. Writing out all the cards took hours on end but its worth it as he loves playing it instead of going through all the words in a mundane way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 am 

What some consider to be the basics, others find very difficult. What I find is that if a child has a good knowledge of grammar and a decent vocabulary the book is useful for consolidating and extending. Where, however, the child does not have this knowledge, it isn't enough to plough through the book. The explanations in the book can be a little tough for a child to cope with so it often requires much thought and planning on the part of the teacher, whoever that person might be. And, unless you're dipping in and out of it, it can't be started a couple of months before the test. There is absolutely no doubt about how useful the content is; it's the teaching of it that can be problematic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm 

Removed my comments :)

Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 pm 

I was simply explaining the limitations of FA in E in response to the OP's question. The OP didn't mention CEM and I certainly do not claim to know anything about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm 

KS10 wrote:
There is absolutely no doubt about how useful the content is; it's the teaching of it that can be problematic.

I totally agree. I found the content absolutely useful and I wish my DS knew all this, but he founds the book totally boring, not really the format he likes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:36 pm 

Useful general knowledge stuff but boring to read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:42 pm 

I love this book but use it as the basis of what I want my DC to know. I wouldn't get it out during a tutoring session. I see it more as a reference book.