First Aid book

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ss1405

First Aid book

Post by ss1405 »

Hi All

Everytime I read essential books /material for english, I always see FirstAid book.
Its been 8 months since I bought it and my DS ignores it and managed to complete only first few pages.For some reason DS think its useless.
Can some one shed light on how important it is ? and what are the important chapter/topics he should cover if not the whole book as its too late now.

regards
MamaBear

Re: First Aid book

Post by MamaBear »

Hi, its good for vocab which is in turn good for VR. But if you feel its not working for you there are other books out there for vocab and vocab lists to plough through too.
Good luck on your 11 plus journey!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

It is good book to reach 60-70% level and consolidate basics but not enough for super-selectives i.e. 90%+.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Personally i thing this book is excellent for the synonyms/antonyms, make the fun learning. I've put the words onto bright coloured card and made a game out of the words. My Ds picks a random word out and he has to guess the antonym and synonym to that word, i play it with him. Writing out all the cards took hours on end but its worth it as he loves playing it instead of going through all the words in a mundane way.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

What some consider to be the basics, others find very difficult. What I find is that if a child has a good knowledge of grammar and a decent vocabulary the book is useful for consolidating and extending. Where, however, the child does not have this knowledge, it isn't enough to plough through the book. The explanations in the book can be a little tough for a child to cope with so it often requires much thought and planning on the part of the teacher, whoever that person might be. And, unless you're dipping in and out of it, it can't be started a couple of months before the test. There is absolutely no doubt about how useful the content is; it's the teaching of it that can be problematic.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Removed my comments :)
Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I was simply explaining the limitations of FA in E in response to the OP's question. The OP didn't mention CEM and I certainly do not claim to know anything about it.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

KS10 wrote: There is absolutely no doubt about how useful the content is; it's the teaching of it that can be problematic.
I totally agree. I found the content absolutely useful and I wish my DS knew all this, but he founds the book totally boring, not really the format he likes.
anxiousparent11plus

Post by anxiousparent11plus »

Useful general knowledge stuff but boring to read
Manana

Post by Manana »

I love this book but use it as the basis of what I want my DC to know. I wouldn't get it out during a tutoring session. I see it more as a reference book.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now