How to mark creative writing?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadMum.com

How to mark creative writing?

Post by MadMum.com »

Any ideas? When my dd has a piece of creative writing I struggle in how to mark it. I tend to check grammar, spelling and if I believe there should be a when/why then I will write comments. That's when I get stuck.

What other things should I look out for?

Thanks everyone.
Daogroupie

Re: How to mark creative writing?

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to mark her on the things that she includes to make her writing more "creative" ! I have pm'd you, if you send me an example I will mark it for you. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

Thank you so much, my dd is due to do a creative writing piece today so I will message it over tonight.
Thank you again, that is very kind of you will give me some kind of indication as well.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I have PM'd you the criteria used by one of the top grammar school in the country for Creative Writing scoring which you might find useful. I suggest you have a check list of 15-20 parameters and put 3 columns with headings - :) , 8) , :( .

Then put a tick mark against all of them to check each piece of writing. The parameters could be - interesting plot, descriptions of settings/characters, correct punctuation, spellings, interesting lines, neat writing etc.

I guess that's the first part. The other part is to guide what the DC could have done in order to get full marks (which unfortunately is where most parent/tutors may find hard).
nuru

Post by nuru »

I am also struggling with this as we get closer to test date. I am OK looking at dd's spelling, grammar and punctuation, but knowing exactly what level of creativity - vocab, phrasing, style, etc - is required is troubling me. To me she writes well, but is it enough? Are there any guidelines online that would be helpful?

Many thanks
judy6

Post by judy6 »

[Edited by moderator]
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... node/20683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anxiousparent11plus

Post by anxiousparent11plus »

Good story
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now