Creative writing Examples

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DGS

Creative writing Examples

Post by DGS »

Hi,
I am preparing my DD for the independent school exams. When it comes to creative writing, its a big struggle. Somehow DD doesn't enjoy writing as she is always short on ideas. We do read a lot together. Still when given a topic she spend hours just thinking what to write and then days to finish. I would really appreciate if anyone has a story bank that you wouldn't mind sharing. I guess if she could read come examples, then it will help her to plot her story and get on with writing. Thanks in advance.
magwich2

Re: Creative writing Examples

Post by magwich2 »

We had the same problem with all 3 of ours! One thing we did was to take them round to some local landscapes, a cathedral etc and to get them to really think about description and also how they could adapt the landscape or building to a particular story by describing it in different weather conditions, different historical periods and different occasions. We thought that most creative writing tasks are really only a vehicle for a descriptive piece rather than a stunning short story and if they had some definite ideas beforehand then this might work.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have a big bank of examples. If you pm me I will send you some marked and unmarked examples so she can have a go at marking a story and then compare it with my marking. It always really helps to learn by example. Which schools is she sitting? DG
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

My two younger boys love using write stuff creative writing for boys journal. They make one for girls too, but I don't see why there should be a distinction really, I have never seen the girl copy. Have a look on amazon. Really you are just buying a notebook, but with ideas and suggestions along the way, but they are not terribly expensive. Do not be put off by reviews about much younger children using these books, it is the inspiration, ideas and fun format you are buying, and that is ageless, in fact an adult could be inspired by some of the story title suggestions in my sons journals. Anything to get the juices flowing imo.
Good luck
DGS

Post by DGS »

Thanks Magwich2 for your lovely ideas. I will try those out with DD.

Southbucks3 I had a look at amazon and found the write stuff for girls. I will be ordering both as I am sure my DS would also love to use one.

DG, I have sent you a PM. Thanks for your help.