Authors after Lemony Snicket

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DC17C

Re: Authors after Lemony Snicket

Post by DC17C »

My dd mostly only read abridged versions of classics when she was younger. I know she did some Shakespeare in primary school as they were involved in an RSC schools project and they also read Alice in Wonderland in school as a part of their theme about the Victorians.
I read A little princess, The secret garden, the little house on the Prairie, all the CS lewis books to both children - I don't think they would have had the patience.
DD was much more in the the books I recommended
DD discovered Jane Austen when she was 11 - after reading the Twilight books - as Bella liked Pride and Prejudice. She has also read A christmas carol but not before the 11+
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Try spiderwick chronicles?
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

If Skulduggery Pleasant is a possibility, try:
Magyk - Angie Sage
The Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan
Spiderwick Chronicles - sorry, i can't remember the author
The Grim Day series (Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday etc.) - Garth Nix, an author I recommend wholeheartedly
Wolf Brother - Michelle Paver
There's always Harry Potter (Ahhh the classics)

Also as some suggested Artemis Fowl and the Edge Chronicles are good, though Artemis Fowl appears to be rather like Marmite!

The Inheritance Cycle, starting with Eragon, is harder but equally enjoyable. Has she tried the Hunger Games - though it might be a little old for her?

If you are looking to get her into classics, I suggest Alice in Wonderland or What Katy Did. I don't think abridged versions are worth it, if you wish her to read classics in order to broaden her knowledge of English wait until she can read them properly. Until then, perhaps audio CDs? I listened to Pride and Prejudice, Mayor of Casterbridge and Frankenstein. They are very useful for long car journeys!!!

I'm in Year 9, so I know from experience finding something to read at that age can be difficult!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now