Rick Riordan books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Re: Rick Riordan books

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you all for your responses.
Thank you for putting all the titles and informing me to start from book 1.
I will look in the library or get the first title on kindle. DD was hooked on the 'Rainbow Magic' books earlier and read almost every book she could lay her hands on.
Recently she also liked some books (can't remember exactly if it is series) from the school library … the title - Mystery of a drowning man … or something like that…can't remember properly.

A friend suggested Phillip Pullman's books so I got her 'The subtle knife' but she didn't like it all. She said it is a very sad book. Usually, dd is not someone who will close any book without reading. This is the first time I saw her giving up on a book without finishing. Don't know if she was tired that day ? She was complaining that why do many books have the child's father died and the child had a hard life and all those sad stories. I told her probably those books talk about the times when women were house bound and the man was the bread winner, women not allowed remarry (in some societies) hence the father dying was a very big shock. I don't know if there was any logic or truth in my answer but DDs emotions seemed to get better which was what I wanted. DD then asked, was it the Victorian time ? I had no answer for it. I just told her I don't know much about Victorian times and I was told everything she learnt in school about Victorian times with an emphasis on the difference in education between boys and girls…. :-)
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

The "Subtle Knife" is the second book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, so if anyone was going to read it they should read the first book "Northern Lights" first.

They are very good (I read them as an adult) but they are all aimed at older children / teenagers IMO so that's probably why she didn't get on with it if she's only 9 or 10.

On the subject of disturbing stories, a lot of the traditional fairy tales we read to very young children, like Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel etc involve dead parents, wicked stepmothers and child hardship don't they?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Proud_Dad wrote:The "Subtle Knife" is the second book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, so if anyone was going to read it they should read the first book "Northern Lights" first.

They are very good (I read them as an adult) but they are all aimed at older children / teenagers IMO so that's probably why she didn't get on with it if she's only 9 or 10.

On the subject of disturbing stories, a lot of the traditional fairy tales we read to very young children, like Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel etc involve dead parents, wicked stepmothers and child hardship don't they?
I was talking to someone in water stones, where they still have people who know about books (I worked before uni in a bookshop - you were expected to be able to converse about books, try doing that in wh smith!!). Anyway, he was saying how you could argue that fantasy or even zombie type books (which my other son loves) are less disturbing than those books like chris Ryan, because the former completely fantasy or make believe, in the same vein as fairy tales or roald Dahl, whereas your war based novel of chris Ryan, based on real modern warfare, COULD be more disturbing for some children as closer to what can really happen.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD read all of the Rick Riordan books in year 6, I remember her disperately waiting for one to come out so she could get it.

She has also just finished the maximum ride series by James Patterson and loved it. 8 books read in under 3 weeks, would have been Quicker but she had to wait for them to arrive from that well known on line book (and everything else) seller.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Another vote for Rick Riordan here - DS (now 10) couldn't read the Percy Jackson books fast enough!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My younger dd devoured the Percy Jackson books when she was in Year 5. They then triggered an interest in Greek Mythology which has been very useful to her ever since. We loved the first film but the second one came and went so quickly at the local cinema we missed it. DG
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The DVD is in libraries now, we had a film evening at hone with it about three weeks ago. The film deviates a huge amount from the book, but it is still exciting. The tantalize character is funny!
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

I love the Rick Riordan books - I have read all the Percy Jackson and the Olympians, as well as all the Heroes of Olympus and Kane Chronicles. I think they are a good choice and offer a new and somewhat... Innovative approach to the ancient myths. (Dionysus is sentenced to drink only Coke and Apollo drives a flying Maserati)

I would just like to warn your DD that she will probably get quite emotional about these books! (Oh, so many tears)
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My boy loved the Rick Riordan books, he finished them just before Christmas and we'd struggled to find something he loves so much. He's just started The Secret Benedict Society and these seem to fit the bill very well. They start with a boy who has to take a series of tests :lol:
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Proud_Dad wrote:The "Subtle Knife" is the second book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, so if anyone was going to read it they should read the first book "Northern Lights" first.

Completely agree with the disturbing fairly tales and that is why i was surprised as I didn't see similar reaction earlier. Don't know ? For now I have left that series and I am happy for her to read whatever she enjoys.