tutor master comprehension m/c (green book)

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
catwoman

tutor master comprehension m/c (green book)

Post by catwoman »

What does every1 think of this book :?: i'm very surprised with my Ds hes just done 'my new school' comp and got 1 question wrong :) so happy :) but then after the happiness wore off... looked at the questions and thought that they weren't very challenging...or is it just me :?:
I think fptp comprehension is much more challenging as opposed to tutor master, tutor master comp questions seem pretty straight forward and easy to find in the text...has anyone done this comp with their Dc :?:

All replies appreciated :)
Daogroupie

Re: tutor master comprehension m/c (green book)

Post by Daogroupie »

If you are sitting in Sept you need to be on harder ones. FTP, CGP, GL Are you sitting QE?
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

My Ds is sitting Q.M in July and King Edward in Sept... yes i think i'll stick to fptp...if my Ds is doing cem is it worth doing GL papers :?:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Is this the first past the post English book you are referring to?
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Hi SB3
No i was originally referring to tutor master m/c comp i bought it from this forum as i needed more m/c comp for my Ds...think it was a waste to buy as seems quite straight forward not at all challenging as compared to fptp :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sorry catwoman....terrible communication, what I should have asked is, the fptp book that you and dg say is of the required level, is that the "English" book, or is there a specific comprehension book I cannot find on the shop link?

I like tutor master, but the cem questions seem to be mostly inference, or word explanation,, not straight answers. MC practice comps are v thin on the ground, over the weekend my ds2 is going to attempt the comps I made for sonasona to iron out any glitches, so I hope I get the level right for cem, assuming he should get nearly full marks now he is eleven. Also the new sats papers are very inference based too, so the schools should theoretically be pushine this technique in year 5, but again not MC.

I really resent MC comps, as they just depend on children grabbing viable/ not viable answers, not thinking things through from scratch, or showing they are on the right tracks.

As we are stuck with them, best I poke the right level under his nose, so your advice welcome please and any other Mc comps out there already made.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

yes sb3 fptp book with m/c questions comp i'm sure you have this book already as you've mentioned it before somewhere on the forum with its tiny print... let me know if you can find any freebies on the net of m/c comp...haven't been successful yet and don't want to spend any more money ...only if its exceptionally fantastic... personally i wouldn't recommend tutor master comp :( (even though it says its suitable for 11 plus)

Hope i've answered your question :?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh...Gosh the dreaded count of Monte cristo... too small text for ds2 to read :evil: I have dug it out of depths for ds3...quite literally the bottom f my pile. The story paper is 4x too long for cem and all text should be written in print no less than 12 points on test papers. I shall chop it and play with it and then give it to ds3

Never been able to find mc comps on internet either, lots of normal comps though.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Yes i agree SB3 text is far too long in fptp and i think its far too short in the cpg books, however the length in tutor master is good but questions are ridiculously simple...can't win either way :!: i think i'm going to have to stick to fptp until i find something more suitable ...somehow shorten the story a bit and re-type it out... lovely time to spend the bank holidayweekend :roll:
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

catwoman - that's a very good analysis and I also think the same. We just tried most of the books and did not get disappointed with FPTP score or delighted with Tutor Master ones.