A boy called mouse

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

A boy called mouse

Post by mystery »

This book by Penny Dolan appears to rate highly in reviews. I have not read it myself. My nearly ten year old has just happily raced through book 5 of Harry Potter and I thought this might make a better written but still exciting read for a child who seems to be turning out to be an adrenaline-junky reader.

She is struggling with the opening chapters - keeps on saying she doesn't understand what is happening. I can't quite get to the bottom of it. I read the opening chapter to her after she had read it and I could not work out with her where she got stuck that time. She has moved on a few pages and declared a similar problem. She hasn't said (unusually) that she udoes not want to read it so I don't think it is lack of interest. In the past if this happens I have read a few pages with her and then she is ready to continue without problem.

I have reached the point where I feel she should be able to sort this out for herself. Any tips to help her through this sticking point?

She is not a patient child and does not like repeating things so she will need to be convinced this is a worthwhile and rewarding experience.

Anyone any experience with this particular book?
kittymum

Re: A boy called mouse

Post by kittymum »

We have it, ds read it a while back. I've just had a look at chapter 1 and it is a little confusing how it jumps around and to me, it's written in a slightly old fashioned tone. Maybe read the next couple of chapters to your dc - some books do take a bit of getting in to after all.

My ds won't read Harry Potter, thinks they're dull but read Percy Jackson, Kane books with relish. I'm trying to think what ds read in year 5 - I think it was the Cherub books followed by the Hunger Games which should satisfy any adrenalin junkies desires, although I fully understand they're not books everyone feels comfortable with.

If the books not igniting her excitement I'd ditch it - I always let my dc choose their books - maybe go to a large bookshop and let her choose some things?