Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 am 

Dear daughter sat. Sutton ME . She scored at least 20 points less than required for Surrey schools. But in school final report she has achieved 5c in reading and 4b in writing at school and 4a in maths,which is clearly according to gov reports well above average for her age group. . details removed by moderatorSince there was no break down in marks in SME , I am confused as to how to help her. Thank you for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 am 

I'm not an expert on NC grades having been through the independent sector, but I would say that we used the level 6 SATS papers as part of our prep for the Sutton Test last year, and certainly a number of the vocab question from the level 6 papers came up in the actual test. So whilst your dd's grades may put here ahead of average expectations, in order to pass Sutton she needs to be in the top third of candidates sitting. I would also wonder whether a 4b in writing will be a high enough standard to get through the 2nd round exams.

That said, whilst I can understand a degree of frustration in not getting results from the mocks presumably your dd has sat other timed papers? How is she at these? Was the mock result a complete surprise?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 am 

. how could she improve in writing?she does g/l assessments and bond papers,not so great I suppose. She does say that she feels pressurised when pushed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:34 am 

Have a look at what is needed to achieve a level 5 , you can then look at her work together and see what she needs to do to improve it. Rising Stars do a good book called Achieve Level 5 in English.

also look here

http://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.asp ... de=6071022

you may ned to register , we use these checklists with year 6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:06 pm 

Thank you yoyo123.I am going to look at this.