compare FPTP to GL papers

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sutu123

compare FPTP to GL papers

Post by sutu123 »

Hi, my DS is doing both the papers fptp and gl English papers. Does any one feel there are a few mistakes in fptp papers and the comprehensions are much harder than gl. In gl he is getting in 85 to 95%, but fptp he is getting in & 78 to 85%.
Please let me know your opinions.
motion

Re: compare FPTP to GL papers

Post by motion »

Hi

Which school is he preparing for please?
Those marks are really good for first attempt. Are these marks for both GL Pack 1 and Pack 2 GL first attempt?

I find that for FPTP gets easier towards the end (but please note the printing errors especially punctuations)

So other answers are possible, have you checked with you ds ...

motion
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

Hi, Gl is his 2nd attempt, but we did 1st time in April. He is trying for qe. He doesn't remember any questions from the first time. Yes, some of the punctuation's in fptp didn't feel right. I did discuses it with my ds.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

Good idea to do April GL for second attempt. Do you think they forgot everything? I always go through the wrong answers after marking, do you?
motion

Post by motion »

If they get less that 80% I wont go through the answer coz i know they will have to repeat the paper after few months, but if am happy with the score i.e. >~90% then i go over the wrong answers and don't repeat the paper.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

Yes, but what do you do if they repeat and still do less than 80? I mean how do they know where they got it wrong if you don't go through? And what if they score between 80 and 90?

I'm just trying to understand, I think I've done it wrong all along.
motion

Post by motion »

Why do you say you did it wrong? I don't think there is a wrong method as such.

The idea of not going through it first time if less than 80% (assuming the paper was done 3 to 4 months ago) is to see if there will be improvement at a later date after doing lots of other papers/practice later on. However, If Second time less than 80, I will go over the wrong answers, and when there is time maybe repeat only comprehension - they always remember the spelling and grammar sections.

Between 80-90 will not need to repeat but just go over the whole paper (ofcourse depending on what they got in comprehension section)

But very close to exam i don't think its worth repeating more than twice

I hope this helps

motion
VH73

Post by VH73 »

Of course it's helping thank you very much, this one makes more sense than what I was doing.

We're on holiday now (no GL), but back to England tomorrow and he'll redo GL tests which was done april/may. I hope he doesn't remember much.

Thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now