Creative writing length

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Creative writing length

Post by berks_mum »

How many words(approx) creative writing are the DCs expected to produce in a 30 mins exam ?
Ladymuck

Re: Creative writing length

Post by Ladymuck »

I have boys, and we aimed for 3- 4 paragraphs to fill one side of A4 (excluding plan). Have to say that I never broke it down to the number of words!
kateJ

Post by kateJ »

I would have thought 350 - 500 words would do it. Hope so anyway:)
dingding

Post by dingding »

I was told that the children should aim for approx 3/4 paragraphs in 30 minutes.

DD
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is absolutely quality not length. Some students will write three pages of drivel, others will write two paragraphs and it will be a terse but compelling story. But 3/4 paragraphs would be a wise amount to aim for but don't think you need to stop when you get there if you have more to say. DG
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for your answers. I will give a topic to DD and see how much she can write in 30mins.

My guess is she will go after a very complicated plot, use lots of devices, try to keep continuous tension and then struggle to finish leaving it half way through. When she writes she finds it difficult to move on. She will want to put down every minute detail thus loosing track of time and energy. We told her about planning and sticking to the plan but she is overwhelmed by her thoughts. Too many in short span of time and each of them competing for her attention, she says. Organising thoughts seems to be very challenging for her.
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Are the plans made for creative writing marked as well?

I wasn't sure if the child has to show their planning too as part of the creative writing task. Or is the plan just for themselves to create an idea.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Kent writing is optional and only considered in the event of appeal.
Sutton/Wilson writing has a weightage on final score but it is 1 hr duration (2nd round)
Olave's - 30 mins writing. Can't comment as there are some late takers for the exam.
Judd is starting new exam on writing I guess in 2015.

I guess the question is best answered by parents whose children have been successful at above schools in the recent years.

No marks for planning.
Nara

Post by Nara »

is there any advise on creative writing for Sutton/Wallington Schools (girls)? last year's experience?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What format details have they given you? DG