New North London Consortium English Paper

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hoppy

New North London Consortium English Paper

Post by Hoppy »

I have just seen that the North London Consortium English paper is changing for next year.

There is still a comprehension section but then instead of continue the story or start the story there are now two separate writing tasks related to the passage. The first is a retelling of the story from a differing viewpoint and the second a reasoned debate.

Does anyone have any views on the change and any ideas on how best to prepare ? It will presumably mean that using past consortium papers as practice will no longer be helpful ?
Daogroupie

Re: New North London Consortium English Paper

Post by Daogroupie »

Oh my goodness! We are seeing some changes this year. I wonder how long the preps have known about this and had the chance to prepare while we have all been busy doing continue the story!

Thank you! Have they posted some sample papers?

They have done the rewriting the story from a different viewpoint before but the reasoned debate sounds new.

It is to try and stop those who rote learn prepared material.

The past papers will still be relevant for the comprehension which is 50% of the final mark and in fact it puts even more focus on the text as it needs to be retold. I assume the debate will be on issues from the text as well so it means that the dds really need to understand the text fully.

This puts the paper more in line with NLCS who managed to half the numbers of interviews needed to select for their places this year. Their new English paper clearly showed which students had reached the required standard. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have now investigated and confirm my original response. Had they done this earlier NLCS may well have stayed in the consortium and doing this now may well be a requirement for keeping City in the consortium.

50% of the marks in the English paper now requires an original response from the student to the text. Students who can apply the text to their own experiences and comment accordingly will do very well with this new format. I am delighted.

Now we just need St Albans to get rid of the Moray House VR Paper and the playing field is well and truly levelled! DG
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

This is great info.

Any urls if I want to find more details.

Thanks very much.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans has got rid of the Moray House paper!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray. Now everyone has the same chance to do well. DG
bibi_a

Post by bibi_a »

Hi Daogroupie

Do you mean st albans school for boys or st albans high school for girls.
Which VR paper are they using now?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a thread about girls schools. St Albans High School for Girls will no longer have a VR paper so they will be just using the North London Consortium English and Maths. DG