Marking policy for spellings in upper KS2 writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Proud_Dad

Re: Marking policy for spellings in upper KS2 writing

Post by Proud_Dad »

That explains a lot. I'd always wondered why DS would tend to make 3 spelling mistakes in his first sentence, while the rest of the composition would be perfect... :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

LOL!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

salsa wrote:Anyway, the worrying thing he points out is that even newspapers like The Times and The Guardian may prefer different spellings for words, for example: judgement vs judgment. Which one do I teach him? Which one would GL or CEM use? Would they just avoid such spellings? What if he's reading an American book and internalises their spelling?
It's not just the spellings that are inconsistent and not only in the press. I was watching BBC news channel the other day and one of those 'breaking news' lines across the bottom of the screen had a glaring grammar error in it - a subject of a sentence was in plural, a verb in singular...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hopefully, GL Assessment and CEM would not ask questions with more than one possible correct answer. Let's hope so anyhow. But I think it is fair enough that English rather than American spelling should be used in the tests and answers to the tests. Primary schools have enough time to teach English spelling if they set about it a bit differently!

Why is it that schools, funded by all of us, are able to have whatever policy they fancy setting in stone even if its positive impact is seriously questionable?