CGP English Comprehension Question

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Golden_Jubilee

CGP English Comprehension Question

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

MY DD just started CGP English practice book 9 to 10. In the first assessment, there is a comprehension question and I am little bit confused between two answers. Wondering if anyone in this forum can please explain me.

If you do not have the book, the text summary is: In 1975, a person called Gary Dahl from California started selling rocks as pets. It was a huge success over Christmas, but they were destines to be a fad. Despite Dahl's best efforts they soon became a thing of the past and, after 1975, sales dried up.

Now the question is:
Why did Pet Rocks stop selling.
(a) They were illegal
(b) Dahl ran out of rocks
(c) They were old-fashioned
(d) People lost interest in them
(e) They were too expensive

Answer is: D because the passage says 'they were destines to be a fad'. This means people lost interest in them.

My confusion is: Why not old-fashioned? The passage also says 'they became a thing of the past'.
Stokers

Re: CGP English Comprehension Question

Post by Stokers »

I remember DD doing this one! Look at the dates - it all happened over one Christmas so not long enough to become old-fashioned, just a passing fad (much like, I hope, Pokemon Go - just about to go out on another hunt!).
Y

Post by Y »

People still buy things that are old-fashioned. They don't buy things they've lost interest in.
taco4u

Post by taco4u »

People lost interest before it was deemed old fashion
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

Sorry for the delay in my response, was away over the week-end.

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense...just thinking if DD can think radically like this in the exam.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now