Exam stress :(((

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mb88

Exam stress :(((

Post by Mb88 »

Ds had mocks and couldn't sleep properly the night before , had tummy. aches
and other forms of anxiety ..... I'm now concerned how to handle him on the day of the exam ... Any tips welcome ! Pls ....
loobylou

Re: Exam stress :(((

Post by loobylou »

Tell him it doesn't matter, that you love him and are proud of him regardless of the results. Take him out afterwards to celebrate that the exam is over. Talk up the non-selective options. "All this exam shows is which will be the right school for you. If you get into School A then that is the right school for you. If you don't then it shows that School B is the right school for you".
Of course some children get stressed on their own account (I have one of them!) but many others get stressed more because they are picking up on family stress/anxiety etc.
With one of my children the above tactics worked brilliantly. Even though she desperately wanted a particular school she relaxed knowing that we were not relying on her to perform.
With the other child the tactics don't always work. Sometimes he needs a dose of reality - "there's no point stressing about it. What will be will be" - but I don't think that would be right for every child...
Mb88

Re: Exam stress :(((

Post by Mb88 »

Thank u so much that makes sense xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now