Comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mel

SATS

Post by mel »

I know this site is for 11+. However having done that my sons next challenge will be Sats which he will be practising at school next week. Does anyone know of what type of material we could use or indeed are there any web sites offering free downloads of past papers. Any advice on SATS ingeneral would be really appreciated. My son is a year six student so is 10 years old.

Thanks
Fairy

SATS

Post by Fairy »

If you go into any good bookshop or website (WHSmith, etc.), you will find that there is an abundance of material with KS2 National Test practice papers.

www.onestopeducation.co.uk is the Letts website and they were giving 40% discount off first orders, so it may be worth giving them a visit.

Above all, it's important to take all the pressure off your son now he has done his 11+ - don't forget the SATS results are basically a schools' league table!

Post by Guest »

Hi

I think it is worth saying that although the SATS are indeed school league tables, they could be very important if your child does not pass 11+. The only reason my daughter was allowed to enter for the 12+ was her high SATS results. She was also placed into the top group for everything at her upper school because of these results.
Now she has got into Grammar school she has finally understood why we put as much effort into her SATS as we did her 11+ and 12+.

Good Luck

Diane
Mary

Thank you guest

Post by Mary »

Thank you to that last guest. My son has just taken his 11+ in Bucks and although ofcourse we are hoping he will pass, it doesn't mean that he no longer has to work hard,as you say his SATS results will determine his Secondary education whether its Grammar or not. Like you I think it is important that the children know why we as parents do want them to do there best and certainly not to feel that if they don't pass the 11+ that thats it there is nothing for them to strive for anyomre. Afterall it is not the be all and end all and as a parent I would not stop encouraging my son if he doesnt pass as like your daughter I believe he willl do well if he doesnt get inot a grammar school. Good luck to your daughter
Confused2

Re: Some Questions

Post by Confused2 »

Cathy/ All

My son is to take his 11+ later in this year, and we have just woken up to the uncomfortable fact that his current standard will not be good enough, without some serious coaching!!. One area that he needs improving on is english comprehension, thankyou for your advice below. I recall one of your posts suggested you have some past papers that you'd be happy to forward on.

If you are able my e-mail is jcac1@hotmail.co.uk. I am happy to make a contribution and would be most pleased to discuss if you are willing

regards John

Cathy Bird wrote:Hello, me again,

I have been thinking a lot about your son in the night ( insomnia!) and I have some ideas that might help him.

However, there are a few things I would need to know in order to assess the approach you might find most useful.

First: How old is he? (this is to know what sort of level we are pitching at re interest, vocabulary etc.)

Second a): When he is given Comprehension work, does he know it as 'Comprehension'. I mean, is this a word he is coming up against, or does he just get questions in the form of a set of exercise questions? (It is vital that a student actually has clarity on what he is doing)

Second b): Why does he think he is doing comprehension? Is it for any purpose in his view?

Third: What is it that your son loves in life? Sport? fishing? Computer games? robots? cooking? etc. . . . .?

Fourth: What does he read? What does he read for school and what does he read for his own pleasure?

Fifth: How and where does he do the comprehension? At school? At home? With the class? with you? ( not psychologically aimed questions - just helps to get an over-all view)

These are the sort of things I would go over on first interview with any child - then I can get an idea where to go.

I'd really love to help. ( and I'm not touting for work on any 'gravy train'!)

Yours
Cathy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now