Thick Moment - Stupid Question Alert!!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessmum

Thick Moment - Stupid Question Alert!!

Post by jessmum »

OK, this is embarrassing but here goes! I consider myself pretty good at English (the only subject at school at which I shone and have done very well with inc A levels in language and Literature).

However, helping my 8 year old with a simple English Bond Paper this week, I realised Im actually quite rubbish :lol: . The question was "Underline the Noun" with a choice of 5 words - all pretty simple and my DD got them all right - however, one I marked wrong where she marked the word as "Wednesday"- however checking the answer sheet (and then my dictionary!) it shows it is a noun and I cant work out why. Harking back to my school days I remember nouns as being a " something or someone" but I cant relate that to a day of the week!

I asked my DDs teacher and was gratified with a blank look :D as she couldnt explain it either. I even asked DD and was given the answer "because it is" :roll: .

So come on then intelligent people, please explain why it is that weekdays are nouns and does it apply to Months as well? Sorry to be so spectacularly thick!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Nouns ......NAME something

Therefore names of places, people, months, days of the week, and things are nouns.

They are also grouped as...

Proper nouns....Wednesday, France, Simon
Common nouns... table, chair, kettle
Abstract nouns... love, hate
Collective nouns... herd, gaggle, school, flock

HTH

:D

BW
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

You are very kind! It does make sense now!

Amazing what you forget in 25 years (since I left school!).

Just one other query, if an 11+ question says "underline the nouns" Im assuming it could include a mixture of proper/ common / collective /abstract etc ??

Thanks so much!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now