Book suggestions please

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my daughter loved Roald Dahl especially Matilda. My son loved teh Horrid Henry series and anything with pants or toilet in the title.
libs

moving on from captain underpants

Post by libs »

Michael Morphurgo - Cool!, Torro Torro, Conkers ... he has written loads of fantastic books - many of which are historic. Perhaps start off on the 'lighter' ones before Private Peaceful and All alone on a wide, wide sea. I think there is a 'Wolf brother' one too.
Thinking about it there are some beautiful hard back books with amazing pictures - This morning I saw a whale and The White Unicorn both of which have young boys as the main character. Our son started reading these Morphurgo ones at about 8/9 - one of our best discoveries ever! Happy reading!
(P.S I don't think you can beat reading these aloud to your son... he will love them, hopefully)
ggd

Post by ggd »

I have just seen this post. Both my boys are avid readers and I sometimes have a job to get them to stop at night. The books that initially got them keen were the Beast Quest series and the Magic Tree House series. Both are good aventure stories for boys.
They are now enjoying Alex Rider and Harry Potter.
katel

Post by katel »

Cressida Cowell's Hiccup Horrendous Haddock 111 books are the ones that switched my ds on to reading. They are really funny, with lots of bottom jokes but a definite cut above Captain Underpants.

When I'm World Dictator I'm going to BAN Horrid Henry!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Agree with above recommendations.

Would also suggest the Library Reading Challenge. These are run every Summer at local libraries. The children have to read 6 books in total by the end of the Summer Hols. After reading the first two they go back and select another two etc. They fill in a review sheet with ticks against how good books were; 1star, two star, three stars etc. They also get prizes e.g stickers, pencils, rubbers, posters, fun maze's, picture hunt's/quests in the library and one year they got a medal at the end of reading all 6.

More details here... Summer Reading Challenge

All my lot have done this every summer, and thoroughly enjoyed it. DD is onto books 3 and 4 already and after taking part last year has been anticipating the Challenge for weeks beforehand.

Just a thought

:D

BW
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Agree with Bewildered - younger DS has read virtually nothing all year but is thoroughly enjoying the incentive of this library scheme.

It has been so difficult to interest him in anything other than Horrid Henry :roll: but he's now engrossed in books by Jeremy Strong.

It's a shame his school couldn't provide a similar incentive scheme, his teacher was of no help whatsoever.
Rosette
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Rosette wrote:Agree with Bewildered - younger DS has read virtually nothing all year but is thoroughly enjoying the incentive of this library scheme.

It has been so difficult to interest him in anything other than Horrid Henry :roll: but he's now engrossed in books by Jeremy Strong.

It's a shame his school couldn't provide a similar incentive scheme, his teacher was of no help whatsoever.
Sounds good and think I'll take the 2 DS's in to start this one.

Could I ask what age your DS is?

Sometimes motivation is difficult with our eldest DS (age 7, goes into yr 3 in Sept). He concentrates hard on the reading part but doesn't take in the story and then doesn't know what's going on, and doesn't stay motivated to keep reading?!

Thanks
Villagedad
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Younger DS is 8.

Had similar problem with elder DS now 10. Summer scheme got him going last year and his last teacher was great at continuing the motivation. He lost interest in reading towards the end of the school year but he too is motivated again by the summer library scheme.

They are both good readers, it's just a case of finding the right motivation.
Rosette
dinah

Post by dinah »

Anthony Horovitz(sp?) is great for boys of this age. Loads of plot, page turners, challenging vocabulary -good to read together. Michael Morpurgo
-Private Peaceful and War Horse.For a classic -Rikky Tikky Tavy(again sp?)- read it to them with all the voices -never known it to fail.
katel

Post by katel »

Private Peaceful and War Horse are, I think, not really suitable for this age group. I'm sure a lot of them could actually read the words, but the ideas and emotions are far beyond the average, [or even the advanced] 8 year old.

It would be a shame to read them too early and spoil them for when theya re are "right" age - which I reckon is 11 at the earliest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now