working out single standardised scores from separate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rajah99

working out single standardised scores from separate

Post by rajah99 »

Hi Guys

Just a quick question about standardised scores. My son recently did some practice papers at school for verbal reasoning and non verbal reasoning. The teacher gave him the marks for the two papers separately:

VR 123
NVR 119

On what ive read so far about pass marks for standardised scores for berkshire, there is just the one score. Do i work that out by simply averaging for the two separate scores? i.e. 121?

Also, is it likely the teacher standardised in the same way as the 11+ will standardise? The school is in Slough, and i read in some other posts that Berkshire 11+ standardise to 100 as in the national NFER way also.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Yes, Slough average the two scores, so your answer would be 121.

The scores do appear to be standardised to 100. The raw score is measured against the standardised score to give the teacher the standardised result.
141 is the highest mark possible.
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

ah thanks for that. And the grammar schools in Slough are standardising to 100 ? Im not sure where you can lookup such information.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Results vary by 11+ cohort. Each pupil is measured against the other, by age and result achieved. Number sitting each year is also another variable. Therefore their is no standard chart you can look at for the grammar 11+ test.

The one sat by your DS at school aren't standardised in the same way. A chart was created by a test sample of candidates that sat that test of the same age and these are created.

Closest idea you can get are the SAT's standardised charts, these are standardised for children across the country so a much bigger cohort is being measured against.

These links may give an idea of how Standardised score work...

QCA Age Standardised SAT's scores... Info

Age Standardised scores Factsheet for Schools

Age Standardised scores English test 2008
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

oh thats great. makes much more sense now.

i guess it would be more useful to know what raw scores people were getting last year in the 11+ for berks, and what that sort of translated into standardised marks. not sure if that info gets published though.