St Bernard's - Sciences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hpatel

St Bernard's - Sciences

Post by Hpatel »

Dear All,

My DS also got admission in St Bernard's. Can parent or ex-student of St Bernards's school share there experience with me regards to sciences. I was been told that they don't teach indiviual scienes upto GCSE, which may limit admissions to six form colleges & data is saying if student did not study three scienes they may not do as well as student did. What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Hemant.
Tinkers

Re: St Bernard's - Sciences

Post by Tinkers »

Don't know about St Bernard's, but my sister is a secondary science teacher. Her school offer both double and triple science. Doing double is no bar to doing A level sciences at her school and she says that some of her double science students go on to outperform the ones who did triple when it comes to A level.

You are right that some sixth forms require triple science GCSE to do A level, but in her opinion it's not an issue. Kendrick will accept those who do double to do A levels in science, even though girls at Kendrick all do triple science.

Of course if St Bs only do double science then they can't insist on triple science for those wanting to do A level sciences themselves.
Hpatel

Post by Hpatel »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

According to Russell group director, student who does not do triple sciences does not perform as well as compare to who does triple sciences. Please see url below:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russell-g ... e-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since my DS got offer from Upton Court Grammar School also (They do triple science). I want to make right choice, Hence I wanted first hand experience. Since St Bernards is doing better then Upton Court only stoping me to select St bernards is double sciences to triple sciences.

Can you please check with your sister, what she think's about article mention above?

Kind Regards,
Hemant.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'll ask but it might be a while.

Would be interesting to see if those doing double award had the chance to do triple and decided not to or were at a school that didn't offer it.

DDs school (Kendrick) used to offer both double and triple, now all have to do triple. One of the graduate chemical engineers at work was a Kendrick girl who did double rather than triple. She still did physics and chemistry at A level.

Whatever the stats say, ultimately it's how your own child will does that's important. Just because in general triple science students may do better doesn't mean your child won't be successful with double and just because St Bs is doing better than Upton court, doesn't mean your child will do better at St Bs than they would at Upton. I don't know anything about either school, but do you have a feel about which will suit best.
Tearing Hair Out Mum

Post by Tearing Hair Out Mum »

My eldest goes to a Russell group uni, she is studying bio chemistry and genetics and she studied
    science at St Bernards, it's an outstanding school and also has an oversubscribed sixth form, most go to great unis !
    Tearing Hair Out Mum