Langley Grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &start=120

Ardmore,
The above link shows a poster; 'rajmundo' advising us that a score of 117 was offered in first round last year.... Can't think of any other lower for 1st round, unless Chad can advise.

HTH

:D

BW
chad

Post by chad »

Hi again ardmore,

I have ben trawling the forum for snippets on going to appeal when passing the 11+ but with a 'lower' score. There isn't a lot to go on.
I would think that if you are not allocated a place in March then I wouldn't just have faith in the waiting list.
I am not sure what info is given out by Langley but if you have a contact number for admissions then I would have thought giving them a ring( or even better an email - so the reply is in writing) and asking 'what is the procedure for appealing as the score achieved is lower than previous years cut off'... would be beneficial.
I am not sure whether you can appeal before March or not. I would suspect that you can only appeal when you do not get an offer..... it is an oversubscription appeal.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
flossie

Post by flossie »

My dd didn't pass Berks 11+ unfortunately - she had a score of NVR 106 :cry: (raw score 57/80) and 109 VR (raw score 62/80). She really underperformed in VR (favourite subject) which was a big shock to us all.

She ended up with an overall score of 108, so we are going to appeal (St Bernard's).

If anyone has any experience of appealing in Berks, particularly for St Bernard's I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi flossie,
Well....we appealed last year for St Bernard's and unfortunately were not succesful. Our son scored 106 overall, we were never given raw scores. We had a lot of academic evidence proving high ability, strong support from our head and class teacher, sadly it was not enough. The one thing we were lacking was really a reason for him underperforming on the day, and I think this must be key.

There were many places available at appeal last year - something like 28, I think only 92 places out of 120 had been allocated on 1st March and subsequently from the waiting list. Appeals are held all week in a room at St Bernard's. The panel appeared on the face of it to be very charming and friendly, seemingly agreeing with everything we said. However the result was not in our favour. I wish you the best of luck, feel free to PM me if you want any more information, although I'm fairly biased against the whole process there.
flossie

Post by flossie »

Thanks lookingforhelp,

I have read your appeal and it must have been so disappointing for you all. I don't hold out much hope for dd here, we are not catholic and with 108 probably not close enough either. I will make sure we include extenuating circumstances though and see what happens though.

If only I had a decent state school in my catchment I wouldn't be in this situation. The two schools in catchment are the bottom two of the Borough and dd has been bullied on and off all through her primary years because she doesn't fit in. I just want her to go to a school with children who want to learn and whose parents are supportive more than anything else.

Thanks for your offer of help.
x
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well flossie, you are closer than we were, and I don't think that being Catholic or not will make the difference if there are spaces. If you have extenuating circumstances that will help, I also think with hindsight especially with regard to keeping an eye on the legal side of the proceedings, if you can afford it bring in some legal representation. At least then if there are any problems with the way things are done, you will have expert advice to follow.

There were at least 28 succesful appeals last year, who knows maybe someone who has been succesful will be along to let us know what they did to achieve this :lol:

St Bernard's is a good school at the moment, there is no question about that, but in a couple of years if the merger with St Joseph's goes ahead and the staff change and the ethos of the school changes, who can say what it will be like? I am not criticising St Joseph's here at all....far from it, just pointing out that the future is quite uncertain for both schools.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Just rang Langley admisison lady. It does not sound hopeful at all. She said number of succesful children this year is about 572 , lot higher than last year. There are many high scores.. Herschel is offering 50 seats to successful children in the locality as well. There are about 385 seats ( LGS 145, HGS 120, SB 120) I decided to share this information if it could be useful to this forum.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

HI Ardmore,

Thank you for sharing that info.
Can you clarify please- The 572 successes, was that just for Langley or the total for all 3 schools?
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Only for Langley I am afraid.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

Gosh, that is high.

I've managed to find my notes from the Langley open evening; they said that last year their final offers went down to 116 with a few at 115. I didn't write down how many passed last year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now