Benchmark figure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Guest with Slough grammar as first choice and a score of 138,

Rest assured that your first preference is YOUR choice if your child qualifies.
No need to worry...

Post by Guest »

Last year my son got 106 and we appealed and got into Herchel grammar and I was very happy. Unfortunatly my friends daughter got 110 and appealed for slough grammar and did not get in. So I don't kow which school is popular and which is not.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

It sounds like there are lots of parents whose child has passed - now it's a question of whether they get into their first choice school or not. I think we have no way of knowing until all the appeals are heard and we get our letter on 1st March. The authorities themselves won't know until they know how many appellants are successful. I don't know whether schools will raise their pass mark - I suppose if they have more people who pass who put a particular school as first choice they have to use some sort of selection criteria. What does it say in the Herschel/Slough/Langley admissions pack? How do they 'normally' make selections. I can only comment on St Bernards and their oversubscription criteria are:

1. Children being 'looked after' by Slough Council
2. Children with a Sibling currently at the school (that's us)
3. Children whose parent is employed by governors of school.

As well as this we had to send in 'evidence of faith' as it is a Catholic School.

Maybe these above three criteria apply to the Herschel/Langley/Slough Grammars. What they do if there are more of children who achieve 111 and fit this criteria, I don't know. There is no catchment issue I think. Raise the pass mark maybe?

I know I've repeated myself there, but hopefully you understand what I am saying!!

JuliaB
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:Last year my son got 106 and we appealed and got into Herchel grammar and I was very happy. Unfortunatly my friends daughter got 110 and appealed for slough grammar and did not get in. So I don't kow which school is popular and which is not.
Well, guest, I am sure that both are popular schools, but I don't think that we should read too much into one or two appeal cases. The exam score isn't everything with appeals. Other factors like academic ability and extenuating circumstances are taken into consideration.
worried

Post by worried »

I thought with a score of 128, my son will get a place in Herschel for sure. When I read the message about the score of 138 and worried about not getting first choice, I thought myself 'what the **** is going on?'.

Now, I will have to dig up the Herschel booklet and see what their admission criteria is. Is there really that many children with high scores? We live in slough, but we don't have siblings in high schools and I thought a 90% score will secure the place. I don't like the idea of waiting until March. Ahhhhhhhhhh........
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Worried, you shouldn't worry...
By which mystery would the benchmark change so much since last year? :roll:
worried

Post by worried »

Thanks Catherine. I should stop being paranoid and enjoy some wine, chocs & Krispy Kreme.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Yes, we should treat ourselves, Worried. It's easy to go over the top. Maybe because test is over we now want something else to fret over!

Good advice Catherine!

JuliaB
(I like the apple cinnamon KK's)

Post by Guest »

JuliaB wrote:
JuliaB
(I like the apple cinnamon KK's)
I like the choc one. May be I am a chocoholic.

You are right in saying that we just want to worry about something. I think, that is what we parents do. I am already thinking about how to encourage my 7 year old. He doesn't like the idea of 11+, because he saw all the work his brother had to do. He doesn't have much confidence in himself either. We will have to work on that in the next two years before we start the real work (I will be in this forum for while).

I went shopping today and heard a few parents talking about 11+. Everyone is doing the Christmas shopping. Something else to worry about.

My husband think I am addicted to this forum. I don't know what gave him that idea!!

Have a good weekend.
worried

Post by worried »

Last message was from me.
:) :) :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now