Reading preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

justmum

Reading preparation

Post by justmum »

Please can someone advice if it is sufficient to practice the NFER papers and Bond for Reading Boys.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Justmum,

Welcome to the forum.

Reading sit 3 1hr papers, English, Maths and Reasoning. On the day of the test your DS will find out first if it is VR or NVR. So you need to practise both.
Will you be home tutoring or Hiring a tutor? We used IPS, Susan Daughrety, and Stephen Curran materials for home practise. Not much Bond for Reasoning, as a lot of their material isn't relevant to NFER type tests.

HTH

BW
stevew61

Re: Reading preparation

Post by stevew61 »

justmum wrote:Please can someone advice if it is sufficient to practice the NFER papers and Bond for Reading Boys.
Hi justmum,

Are you looking at the exam in 2009 :shock: or 2010?

steve
justmum

Reading Preparation

Post by justmum »

Thanks Bewildered.

We do have tutoring, the tutor has mainly done NFER papers and also done some KS2 Maths. I am now getting worried that we need to do others as NFER might not be sufficient. So I got him to do some sample IPS papers and DS thought they were slightly difficult.

Can I get Susan Daughtrey in WHSmith.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Yes, they can also be purchased here... Susan Daughtrey

Try the Bright Sparks multiple choice and Graded test papers series.

If you're doing practise for this Nov, all these may be a bit late in the day. :(

Have you got English covered?
justmum

Reading preparation

Post by justmum »

Well he has practised Bond comprehensions , sample papers of SWOT and some Tutions for you. A lot of NFER which he is scoring high marks sometimes above 95% and sometimes close to 90%

He is appearing for this November. He has done several KS2 maths papers and is scoring well. But we got him to appear for Slough grammar school exams and managed to score 109. So I am getting a little worried now
stevew61

Re: Reading preparation

Post by stevew61 »

justmum wrote:Well he has practised Bond comprehensions , sample papers of SWOT and some Tutions for you. A lot of NFER which he is scoring high marks sometimes above 95% and sometimes close to 90%

He is appearing for this November. He has done several KS2 maths papers and is scoring well. But we got him to appear for Slough grammar school exams and managed to score 109. So I am getting a little worried now
Don't worry, the Reading Maths exam is closer to KS2 than elevenplus, if that makes sense. :)

The real "test" at Reading is three papers in one day, not knowing if it is VR or NVR, the VR paper and English are not hard but they increase the number of questions so it is a test of speed and accuracy.

I would concentrate on exam technique, fun stuff and having a positive "keep calm and carry on" attitude on the day. :lol:

Your preparation looks good :).

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

~agree, also I've heard it said that 5% of mark could be lost on exam nerves. Next time it won't be so nerve wracking and at least the Maths paper will be KS2 and not higher as Slough Maths is.
muvvalac

Re:

Post by muvvalac »

Bewildered wrote:Hi Justmum,

Welcome to the forum.

Reading sit 3 1hr papers, English, Maths and Reasoning. On the day of the test your DS will find out first if it is VR or NVR. So you need to practise both.
Will you be home tutoring or Hiring a tutor? We used IPS, Susan Daughrety, and Stephen Curran materials for home practise. Not much Bond for Reasoning, as a lot of their material isn't relevant to NFER type tests.

HTH

BW
Hi
We are ok with VR/NVR preparation. can you please suggest what should we use for maths and english. please suggest some practice books and test papers as well.

also do u know if a break given between each paper for reading test

thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now