appearing for test without puttting down schl in the CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muvvalac

Re: appearing for test without puttting down schl in the CAF

Post by muvvalac »

remember if 1400 pupul are appearing for 140 places, it does not mean 1:10 or 10:1. becaz not every child is well prepared/motivated/inspired to do well, this is what I think and i may be completly wrong

after speaking to parents of Tiffin/ReadingBoys and BucksCounty, I realised that there is very little possibility where there could be spare place rarely

i strongly think appearing for more exams is good, as probability of getting passmark is high in one of the exams of 6 , rather than just in one exam

each parent/child is different and hence different ideas
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Problem with the scattergun approach is that passing the exam is not ( contrary to some opinion) a random event. If 2 kids take 6 tests one is more likely to pass all 6 while the other may fail all 6 . Not always I realise but just taking lots does not increase their chance of passing one.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

you can call it as scattergun approach if the child is appearing for exams without enough preparation

but am taking scenario where child is appearing for exam with good preparation
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I dont know all the schools you are considering but not all the tests are the same, some VR and NVR some VR with english , maths etc. Are you really going to prepare your son for so many possibly different tests? Trust me, there are NO spare places at any of the grammar schools you have so far mentioned. There are waiting lists in operation should any places be declined. Your son will not be considered for a state school you haven't put down on the CAF. The only grammar schools where you will be able to sit the test without naming them on the CAF are those that test before the CAF has to be submitted such as Wilsons or Wallington Boys in Sutton.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

whichwitch wrote:I dont know all the schools you are considering but not all the tests are the same, some VR and NVR some VR with english , maths etc. Are you really going to prepare your son for so many possibly different tests? Trust me, there are NO spare places at any of the grammar schools you have so far mentioned. There are waiting lists in operation should any places be declined. Your son will not be considered for a state school you haven't put down on the CAF. The only grammar schools where you will be able to sit the test without naming them on the CAF are those that test before the CAF has to be submitted such as Wilsons or Wallington Boys in Sutton.
I trust you, and you are right. It is unlikely that anyone can get admission without putting down school into CAF. After I research and this forum's help, I decided to appear only for the tests that I am putting into CAF. I am choosing only schools that have papers in VR and NVR to make myself and my son's life is easy.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Admin: you can close this Thread if there is a way
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now