Entry for Boarding in Reading Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
All is well

Entry for Boarding in Reading Grammar

Post by All is well »

Since we are out of the catchment for Reading Grammar school, I was wondering about applying my DS for boarding. Has anyone got any idea regarding the number of applicants , how difficult it is, how is the boarding there etc.

I am really anxious as the deadline for the apllication for normal entry is 1st Oct.

Please Help.........
stevew61

Re: Entry for Boarding in Reading Grammar

Post by stevew61 »

Date of test

Thursday 6th January 2011
(Tests are taken at Reading School.)
Closing date for applications
To Reading School by Tuesday 4th January 2011
However parents who reside in England must complete a Common Application Form and return it to their Local Authority no later than 31st October 2010.
Hi All is well,

The deadline for day or boarding is 31st October it also has to be on your LEA CAF, which may have an earlier cut off.

I have some knowledge of boarders, I will send you further info. by PM. :)

There is competition for boarding places but it is not as fierce as for day places, the waiting list moves. I will find a link from another poster who reported that not all places were taken this year! Obviously you have to find the boarding fees, about £10K?

RS wrote:Reading Boys

Not sure whether you already know. There are only 6 boarding places being accepted, it means there will be 6 extra places for the day boys.

Good luck to those who are on the waiting list.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 1&start=70

edit

The school calendar came home today and contains class lists and confirms only six boarders in year 7.

The school is very proud of boarding and will be keen to recruit 12 this year, I am almost tempted myself for DS2………..
mumoffive

Re: Entry for Boarding in Reading Grammar

Post by mumoffive »

Boarding is excellent at Reading School our two boys both boarded. One has just graduated from Oxford and the other is in the process of applying for university after a very happy seven years. Boarders have to reach the standard of the day school in the exams but if they can do this they have a very good chance of getting a place. The school is very academic but the boarding house is a very happy place with lots of academic and pastoral support. The family barbecue every year allows parents to get together. It`s a long time since my boys sat the entrance exam but we had no tutors we just practised maths, english and reasoning papers at home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now