Reading 13 + exam 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lasvegas

Reading 13 + exam 2011

Post by lasvegas »

Hello,

Has anybody's DS just recently sat the Reading School 13 plus exam. If so can they remember anything about it.
I am thinking of sitting my son for 2012 exam and would welcome any advice form anybody!(best books to use..) :D
stevew61

Re: Reading 13 + exam 2011

Post by stevew61 »

lasvegas wrote:Hello,

Has anybody's DS just recently sat the Reading School 13 plus exam. If so can they remember anything about it.
I am thinking of sitting my son for 2012 exam and would welcome any advice form anybody!(best books to use..) :D
Sorry no info. on 2011 test, but general info., it is very competitive,

From 2007,
stevew61 wrote:Reading 13+ Entry,

Article in local newspaper nearly seventy boys sat for nine places, four places won by boys from Crosfields.

stevew61
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... s&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation on 2012 13+ exam,

http://www.readingschool.reading.sch.uk ... 012-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Entrance Tests
The entrance tests will be taken at Reading School.
There will be three tests each of length approximately one hour.
They will cover i) Mathematics,
ii) English,
and iii) Science.
The tests will be based on the National Curriculum and will be such that no additional preparation is necessary. No past
papers are available and no further information with respect to the tests will be given. No allowance will be made for a pupil’s
age.
This years test,
Nature of the tests

There will be three written tests each of approximately one hour duration.
The tests will cover:
• Mathematics
• English
• Science

Papers will be of an appropriate level of difficulty and will be related to National Curriculum levels of performance (levels 5-7).
The content of the tests in Science will cover Biology, Chemistry and Physics and the style of this paper will be such that we are attempting to test potential. No past papers are available and no further information with regard to these tests will be given.
I had detailed feedback from the father of a successful candidate a couple of years ago, the boy was at a local comprehensive and they used KS3 CGP books to fill in gaps in his knowledge.

Good luck. :)
lasvegas

Post by lasvegas »

Thanks for all that information!

Let's see how it goes.....as I have tried and not found a tutor specific for 13 +
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

lasvegas wrote:Thanks for all that information!

Let's see how it goes.....as I have tried and not found a tutor specific for 13 +
You need someone who can cover KS3 maths, English and science, so unlikely to find a single tutor, maybe one for each subject :shock: or some DIY.
sivkris

Post by sivkris »

My DS appeared and has got an offer.

Maths - 100 marks (KS 5-7 style questions), 1.15 minutes

English - 36 marks, 2 questions , 1 hour

Science - 119 marks, 2 papers with 1 with multiple choice (60 marks, 30 minutes) test and the other (59 marks, 30 minutes), typical KS 5-7 style questions.

He used the books from CGP for the prep
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

sivkris wrote:My DS appeared and has got an offer.
Congratulations to you and your DS.

Thanks for the feedback, can you give any more info. on the English exam, was it two short writing tasks, did they have a choice?

My DS1 has the following feedback for 13+ entry, don't worry about catching up on Latin if you haven't done any, Year 9 Latin is more an intro. to Greek and Classical Civ. so you can follow either of those at GCSE. Likewise it migt be better to focus on French rather than German.

Maths is the subject where you may have to put in some work, some 13+ boys had not covered sin/cos/tan and had to launch straight into the bigger sine rule and cosine rule formula.

Each tutor group takes in three boys at 13+ and the whole school community make a real effort to settle them in.

Will you be accepting the offer? :)
Jack777

Post by Jack777 »

Hi Sivkris, heartly congratulations to you for getting your DS through.
Any references for tutor if you used or know will be a big help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now