best Preparation for Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Complete Novice

Re: best Preparation for Kendrick

Post by Complete Novice »

Reading used to use nfer I believe, but when my son sat it in 2009, it was a different format most likely a homemade version by Reading. It did contain significantly more type z questions than a typical nfer paper and also had a couple of NVR questions thrown in and a couple of number grids.

My son had only covered the 21 types but did not find anything in the paper that was too different or difficult. If I were preparing him for Reading now, I would prepare all 21 types plus I would trawl through the Susan Daughtrey Technique and Practice books and try to pick out any additional types which lend themselves to a multiple choice format. I would also make sure he had practiced all the slight variations on the 21 types that are in those books 1-4 Plus I would vary all the practice papers so that he never becomes so familiar with a type that he forgets to read the question just assuming it will follow suit with all the others. I do remember my DS saying that the "odd one out" questions for example only required one odd one out to be selected unike Nfer which ask for 2. If you juggle the papers, he won't become too complacent and miss an important difference like that.

Schofield and Sims also do a good number puzzle book which would be good practice for the grids.

Best of luck

CN
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thanks a lot for the replies Steve and CN.

So i need to be prepared for anything really! Did any of you do Bond verbal? I am not making DS do any Bond verbal( but thinking aloud) maybe i should just make him do some Bond verbal as well, just so that he gets an idea of all the types. Thanks CN for recommending Schofield and Sims number puzzle book, will go and get it. Steve is it possible to get some links to websites which u think would be good for logic problems. DS loves computer based learning so it will be very useful for us.

Thanks once again for the help and advise.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

11+ novice wrote:So i need to be prepared for anything really! Did any of you do Bond verbal?
Yes, be prepared for the unexpected but similar VR puzzle information type questions, so having skills to solve by turning the verbal data into a diagram or table is required, if that makes sense.

Did not look at Bond but used some Susan Daugherty standard format as we had the books at home.

The questions have to be multiple choice so start with the 21 types and then look at other types, even standard format that could be set as multiple choice.

For Z type questions I found AE 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Work Book 2 a good guide and source of questions.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D11%23b122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only after completing the basics did we go looking for other types of logic/information questions.

Here is a nice online quiz. :)

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/logic-test.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The psychometric ones we worked through together as they are more advanced, I will PM the link as it is not suitable to post.

Please bear in mind this is not guidance, just sharing our experience, the exam is an unknown and the content can change. :shock:
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thank u for the replies. I understand how unpredictable the Reading exam is but with your guidance i can probably prepare DS for the unexpected. If it wasn't for this forum and website i would have been lost in the 11+ system ! All your help and support has been invaluable.

Thanks once again.