Reading & Kendrick March 2011 Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cestlavie

Re: Reading & Kendrick March 2011 Allocations

Post by cestlavie »

Hello - another newbie here. Our son has just missed out on Reading Boys, he is 24th on the waiting list. Seems a bit too low to hold out hope? It looks from the numbers to be very close around the cutoff.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

aliportico wrote:Steve - will be hoping for a good place on the waiting list for you. ....Where did he get allocated instead?
The letter from Reading has arrived, no chance on the waiting list, we have the local good and improving comp.

I have spoken with Reading School via email and they have responded very promptly and in detail.
cestlavie wrote:Hello - another newbie here. Our son has just missed out on Reading Boys, he is 24th on the waiting list. Seems a bit too low to hold out hope? It looks from the numbers to be very close around the cutoff.
A few years ago before the rapid data exchange between LEAs the list moved a lot more, if you look at the links at the top of this thread the list in recent years has moved about ten places? But who knows! Don't worry about being close to the cut off.

If the call comes in September most parents stick with what they have so the list did move very fast one year the day before term started.
William1

Post by William1 »

Against all odds my son has been allocated a place at Reading, I still can't believe it. Many thanks to all of you that has helped contribute to this site.

I don't know if now is the time or if this is any help at all, but we did not have a tutor (could not afford one) so I took up this responsibility. I said to my son with 6 mths to go that we will give it our best shot. By buying countless mock papers from WHS, doing some maths most nights, encouraging my son to read more novels (not that he needed much encouragement), and by reading good advice on here we somehow managed to pull it off.

Thanks all, I am so proud of my little boy. :<)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

William1 wrote:Against all odds my son has been allocated a place at Reading, I still can't believe it. Many thanks to all of you that has helped contribute to this site.
Thanks all, I am so proud of my little boy. :<)
Congratulations, well done. :)
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Sorry to hear Steve - You have helped & contributed a lot .Thnx..

My DS is in yr 4 rt now..I got lots of information & motivation from this forum.
Still need to understand,what if we don't make it to Reading Boys ??..state catchement is no good..

Thnx
RG7mum

Post by RG7mum »

I've been an avid guest of this site for the past yr (especially the last week :lol: ) while DD preparing for Kendrick and wanted to say thank you to the moderators and everyone's contributions.

Thrilled that DD has been offered a place and thought I would let the forum know that 588 girls were tested this year and Kendrick's website currently says "As at 1st March, the lowest ranked applicant to be offered a place was 112th. Places are offered from the waiting list as and if those offered places, decline. The initial period is up to 14th March but there can be further withdrawals up to the beginning of term in September. Once the year has begun, anyone leaving Year 7 up to 31st December 2011 will be replaced from the waiting list."

All starts again with DS for Reading 2012.
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

I have to say from the 4 boys from my sons primary (in Reading) 2 have offers 2 do not. The 2 that do are the 2 that got through the initial stage of the Mathematics Association Primary mathematics challenge (which luckily his primary do although it is just after the Reading school exam). I hope that gives an idea of maths level needed. All we did in terms of prep were i think about 4 or 5 reasoning tests of different types and a couple of past maths papers from an independent schools website which were long answer not multiple choice. he also did comprehension work at home with us but that was as having grown up in the 70's when you did reading comprehension daily at primary i was appalled it is so rarely covered nowadays. That was mainly done via asking questions about articles read in the paper or a text book rather than any bought material. After his illness on the day we are frankly amazed he passed and can only think as maths was first he scored enough in that to drag up the total result.
Rboydad

Post by Rboydad »

Hi, I was just looking at a few forums to do with reading boys, and I found this one. All I have to say is, my DS has been offered a place at Reading School!!!!!
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Well done to all who got a place in Kendrick as for the parents who are still waiting for a place maybe from the waiting list, do not give up yet because things will eventually work out regardless. My DD has passed Kendrick and she was joint 37th, we are very pleased with her achievement. She has also passed Tiffin, which was our first choice her place could now go to somebody else. Good luck and all the best.
stressedparent
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Well done to all who got a place in Kendrick & Reading boys !!!

My son will start year 5 in sep 2011-
I believe we'r now allowed to have 4 preferences /choices now...

Would request some guidance in understanding how to select these preferences.
As I stay in lower earley Reading-Reading boys is closest & best grammar school option for us.
But,I am also interetsed in applying for langley grammar school ,tiffins & Wilsons.

As can read in few previous posts-kendrick offered a place,whereas tiffins was the 1st preference..
so, if I select wilsons as 1st preference & Reading as 2nd..will I still be offered a place in Reading boys if my DD passes it..?

many Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now