Slough Grammar - Sept 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rb123

Slough Grammar - Sept 2011

Post by rb123 »

My DD starts this sept and I just wanted to know some views from current parents for SGS on any prep that I need to do before DD starts, as well as what sports, clubs etc are there in the school.

Thanks
chad

Re: Slough Grammar - Sept 2011

Post by chad »

It may change this year (new head has def got some good ideas) but historically the year group was not 'streamed' until yr 8....and so was based on the whole years results.Therefore the 'prep' that some people may do may give the child a less demanding start to the school year but will even out in the long run.
The clubs available should be included within paperwork on the induction day and also highlighted during the first week at school. My son has enjoyed debating, warhammer, science and badminton (and he isn't really a 'club' sort of child.
Historically they also give the new yr 7's some sort of CATS test within the first term.....this is to measure progression not to stream.

Hope that helps
rb123

Post by rb123 »

Many thanks, chad. It certainly reassures me as to what to expect. I was wondering about streaming - whether it was done in yr 7.
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi rb123,

My ds would also start SGS from sept 2011. I was wondering what's streaming in yr 7? Could you please let me know?

Many thanks in advance

Best wishes

Veryworriedmum
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi chad,

That's very helpful piece of info. Can you please let me know what are the subjects for CATs in year 7?

Thank you ever so much for your advice

Best wishes
Veryworriedmum
chad

Post by chad »

I will ask my son...... if he can remember back in the mists of time. :roll:
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

There's no need to do any prep. The children will( unless things change this year) do maths tests in the first few weeks of school to set them for maths. They also sit some English tests on their induction day but I'm not sure if this is used for setting or not.
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

Sorry, clubs. Seems to be a lot available both lunchtime and after school. My children( yr7 &9) have taken part in debating, trampolining, rugby, football, tennis, netball among others. There is also the option to learn another language on top of their given ones.
rb123

Post by rb123 »

Many thanks for all your replies. It gives me a rough idea of what to expect.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now