Taking tests for practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dad5

Taking tests for practice

Post by dad5 »

My daughter will try for Kendrick this year. She doesn't want the other grammar schools. Therefore, we will put the comprehensives in the 2nd and 3rd places.

Since Kendrick will be the only test she is going to take, I am worried that she won't have any real test experience before Kendrick. I was wondering if there is any way of taking other 11+ NFER type tests without including the school name in our preference list. Is this possible?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I believe you only get invited to sit for the test, if you list the school as one of your choices on the CAF.

Maybe someone else could confirm this.

For Reading you have to also submit an application form directly to the school (along with a photo of the child). This would presumably be how they know who to send invitations, to sit for the test, to.

Also be aware that different grammars have different tests, eg Kendrick sit a standard VR and NVR, Bucks and Slough are both Multiple choice, with Bucks only doing a VR.
Mum10

Post by Mum10 »

My daughter has just passed for Kendrick, she also did the Bucks Test as practice (passed). We phoned up Bucks Ed. Auth direct and they sent the relevant forms, you can do this with Slough Ed. Authority as well, i did not list any bucks or slough schools as my options, dont think you should have a problem, and i have to say sitting Bucks test gave her good practice of sitting exam before Kendrick!.
mum's question

Post by mum's question »

Dear Mum10,

As you said your daughter appeared for Bucks test as well as the Kendrick test. She passed both. Well done to her, do you think preparing for Kendrick is good enough for sitting confidently in bucks exams as well. She must have prepared for Kendrick specifically, but after she did the Bucks exam what were her views, were the questions quite familiar with what she has been practising for Kendricks?

Has anybody from South Bucks/ Slough area in past ever appeared for Reading or Kendricks exam? Have they been successful, or was the distance a criteria for not being successful? Please advice..............
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks mum10, for clarifying.
Interesting to see this is allowed. Goes to show that parents who would wish their children to practise in this way, are helping to bump up the figures of children 'who sat the exam on the day', therefore parents trying to deduce chance of there child getting through could in theory reduce this figure by say 5% for example. Also presumably helps those children at the top of waiting lists :) I suspect this would be more the case in Bucks and Slough, as they generally have more grammars.

The only other factor to consider is if you didn't list the schools you are sitting 'practise papers' in and passed those, but didn't pass the test for the your chosen grammar :?

BW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now