Reading Boys - What was the pattern this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Complete Novice

Re: Reading Boys - What was the pattern this year?

Post by Complete Novice »

Just re-read Aliportico's post and realised that actually the question wasn't the same. It was the same words but the question my son had was about artist's palette giving a different correct answer of course :oops:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Thanks for the feedback.
aliportico wrote:BUT the English sounded tough and I doubt from what he's told me that he can have done well enough overall to get an offer. He found the 'fill in a word' questions really difficult - e.g. Mary's refined pallet/palate/pallette/pallatte meant that she enjoyed fine foods. Definitely harder than the practice questions we'd done.
OUCH! That is tricky, I had to sound them out. :oops: I guess most boys would have found the English tough, so you are still in the mix, good luck for 1st March. Being a leap year you get an extra day to wait. :lol:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

CN - that one has stuck in my mind because I read it somewhere here - probably in a post of yours on this very forum as you say your son had those words - and thought, "oh, E would never know that, must show it to him" and didn't! So have been kicking myself!

Steve - :P extra day, huh!

I'm feeling very que sera, sera about it all really, so will just see what 1st March brings. At least I don't have to see the school at all - when dd1 was waiting for her Kendrick result, I was driving past regularly and would have to avert my eyes!
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

The feedback I had from many of my tutees is much in line with what has already been posted. On the whole, the maths paper was in line with ks2 requirements, perhaps with some tricky problem solving but generally no harder than the gl papers. The English was tough with some very difficult vocab. Some of this might be repeated from one year to the next but in different context. The comprehension passage sounds like it had a few questions designed to 'trick' the boys. I believe the school is trying to make the papers more and more tutor proof, but perhaps it is just raising the bar and adding more pressure. It is extremely frustrating to not know whether they will be sitting a verbal or non verbal or a mixture.

Any child who reads a lot, has good vocab, logic and maths skills should find preparation for the school straightforward. It is a tough environment once they are in so 'over tutoring' just to gain a place is, in my view, not wise.
Chintzy

Post by Chintzy »

We are also starting to 'think' about March 1st and Kendrick results.... Feel little bit queasy. Christmas was such a good distraction. Must stop looking at distracting forum. :D
earleymom

Post by earleymom »

Thanks Bmumof3, eka , aliportico and cocoa0101 for your feedback. Much appreciated.

eka - what practise papers did you use for Maths?? And yes, could you please let us know the poem used in Comprehension ??

Thanks
eka

Post by eka »

We did a variation of papers including Bond and GL assessment as well as any free downloads I could find! The GL papers are particularly useful for multiple choice practise.

A link to the poem which was called 'Geography Lesson' is below,

http://www.jcckc.net/english/poem/F4poems/poem6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck :)
earleymom

Post by earleymom »

Thanks eka..
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

eka wrote:Hello,

I dont have much to add on the previous email as I had the same feedback from my son on what the papers contained. However my sons strongest subject is maths and he found the paper 'easy' however was challenged by the other papers!!! he said compared to practise papers we had done in maths he found it less of a challenge. I guess it goes to show they are all different! But he was disappointed with no NVR again a stronger of his subjects......so I am not holding my breath that he has done enough in his VR and English!!

All the best.

ps. I found the poem online that was used in the comprehension, so if you would like further details I can look for it again and let you know.

hi Eka,
I read your msg on the forum regarding Poem used in comprehension test for Reading school. As my son is going to appear this year for 2013 entry in Y7, can you pls send me the link from where i can have a look for that Poem.
thanks in advance.
Rashminder
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

hi all,
my son is going to appear for 11+ entrance test this year for 2013 entry. can anyone advise me what type of question comes in Maths ( i mean which topic has repetition) . does any one has an idea about English test question styles.
Thanks,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now