Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Me again ...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 pm 

Sorry - am going to be the most prolific newbie poster in the universe at this rate.

Having read all the appeals info, I am getting my stuff together early (before he even takes the 11+!) My son's school does not do SATs or 11+ (as I have said before). At the end of each term his report gives him exam results and the year average for comparison - so I have no idea where he sits as far as the rest of the UK is concerned. I have asked the school for some of the information and they have come up with the following ...

"InCAS predicts that Toby would achieve a Level 5+ in Maths, English & Science at the end of KS 2, this was based on his Yr 5 assessment in May 2011."

Does InCAS (whatever they are) have the same standing in the GS community as doing a normal SATs?

They also said that his spelling age in May 2011 was 13.5 years and his reading age was 12.9 years. Again, this was InCAS.

Do I need to do some googling or does anyone know how this fits with the "normal" SATs.

As always, thanks in advance for your help. :)

Post subject: Re: Me again ...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm 

Hi Faitaccompli

I don't know much about the schemes used for testing and how they compare but InCas is from Univeristy of Durham CEM who set / are involved with exams at 11 plus around the country - so recognised body

http://www.cemcentre.org/incas/introduction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 pm 

Our son's school also does the Incas but they can be a bit unpredictable for the 11+ because they are done in the first term & kids can mature in the summer holidays.

Your son has done well in the Incas so build on it & use 11+ papers to practice for the exams as these are different to the Incas. These papers prepare you more specifically for the 11+ whereas the Incas compares your knowledge of your subject in relation to the national average. For eg. in English there is no writing test so story/essay writing is not tested.

So if you are going to try for selective schools, Please don't rely on Incas as adequate preparation!!! Even kids doing SATS have to do a ton of extra work for their GS preparation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:37 pm 

Thanks LM - yes - we have 4 packs of GL assessment we are working through, plus some IPS that is winging its way to me as we speak!