Can I appeal for 2nd choice school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hkgill

Can I appeal for 2nd choice school?

Post by hkgill »

DD achieved 110! :shock: I know that I cannot succeed at my first choice school (LGS) as entrance marks need to be higher than at least 120. Can I appeal for 2nd choice school (SGS)?
AnxiousMum
natural

Re: Can I appeal for 2nd choice school?

Post by natural »

I'm in the same situation hkgill - I've trawled through the site and the information about slough consortium seems so confusing and is mostly old. I want to know if I can appeal to all 3 consortium schools on my CAF based on academic evidence.
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

As much as I have managed to find out from the forum is that we can appeal to 2nd choice school with permission from the 2nd choice school governing body. We will ring the school on monday to find out. What a dreadful situation to be in. Fully emphathise with you natural. :?
AnxiousMum
natural

Post by natural »

Hi hkgill
Just wondered what SGS said? Both LGS and St B insisted the appeal must be made only at LGS, wondering if I should call up SGS and see if they would accept an appeal? Did you have any luck?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Let me be clear - you have a legal right of appeal for any school you applied to on your CAF, if you have been refused.

(I'm assuming the consortium is not operating a Bucks-type system where a single appeal against non-qualification has been possible.)

Slough mum raised this issue with the ombudsman last year:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... um#p244793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as I can tell from this post, the ombudsman upheld her complaint, and the school was told to arrange an appeal:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 69#p268369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the situation is confusing, it's because the consortium appears to be making it so!
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

As the Consortium appeal is also for a place at the school (not the same as Bucks) then you should be able to lodge an appeal for any school on the CAF. If you are refused your right to appeal then I am sure you could take it further.
Unfortunately the consortium appeal system could never be called transparent and seems to be organised in such a way as to dissuade parents from attempting to appeal. It certainly isnt easy to find out the options and the process.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

The way I see it is this -

In the first instance (ie before allocations day) you appeal to your first choice school, (Langley). This will as you say probably be unsuccessful. Then come March1 when you have been refused all grammars, you can then make an appeal to whichever one(s) are of further interest to you.

Good luck .
chad

Post by chad »

I agree with you...... especially as the current information is that all appeals will take place after March 1st.

I would appeal for the 1st named school now and then if no grammar is offered at March 1st put in an appeal for the other schools on your CAF.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now