Reading boys 2013 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
reading2012

Re: Reading boys 2013 entry

Post by reading2012 »

Thank you cocoa0101, for your useful suggestion!
reading2012

Post by reading2012 »

I am amazed by and grateful for the quick and detailed responses by so many of you. It really is reassuring to know that the forum is so supportive and informative.

The results of the practice tests are encouraging but because i work full time I get only weekends with him, and also was wondering if I should get someone neutral i.e. third person, to assess him to make sure it is worth trying. any ideas on that one?

Any suggestions for a reliable tutor?

It is a relief to know that the school atmosphere per se is not pressurising! Yes, and the point about finding oneself not at the top anymore, is very true.

I am sure that the actual english comprehensions will be much more challenging than the english comprehensions by bond and GL. Are there any publications/material that provide english papers closer to the reading entrance exam standards?

Despite the information below, surely the school knows that the aspirant pupils are being prepared for the exam. And anyway, I am not sure if state schools'( my son is in one of them) curriculum prepares them for VR and NVR, especially under exam conditions and in limited time!!

Entrance Tests
The entrance tests will be taken at Reading School. Tests will cover, Mathematics, English and Reasoning [verbal and/or nonverbal
(abstract)].
The tests will be multiple choice and will be tests for which no additional preparation is necessary. No past papers are
available and no further information with respect to the tests will be given.
Allowance will be made for a pupil’s age.

Another point, is the race against time factor. What is the time duration for these tests.
Are there breaks between them?

How far is not too far to travel on a daily basis to reading school in morning rush houe either by public transport or car.
From where we are it is about 30 mins car journey at an off-peak time, which is more like 45mins -1 hour in the morning. And about 1 hour on public transport i.e. train.

Is that too much or normal...do lot of boys commute. From my town I know of only one boy , who goes to reading boys.

I am afraid there are a lot of questions but I am counting on you all for answers.

many thanks,

reading 2012

I am putting forth the same post for more responses on the questions in it.

Any feedback, help will be graetly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
reading 2012
reading2012

Post by reading2012 »

Hello All,

A few months ago Reading school websire stated that the tests will be multiple choice. But now it does not mention anything about the format! Have I got it wrong? Are they not multiple choice and an hour long with 50 questions in each topic?

Please share any information you may have regarding this.

Many thanks.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.reading-school.co.uk/55/policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Entrance Tests
The entrance tests will be taken at Reading School. Tests will cover, Mathematics, English and Reasoning [verbal and/or nonverbal
(abstract)].
The tests will be multiple choice and...........
Not on the first page but buried in "policies", good luck. :)
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Last year they weren't exactly 1 hour, 50 questions, but close to that - have a look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=23106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details.

As for journey time - unless you're a bit of a masochist I doubt you want to drive into Reading every morning! An hour by train - is that an hour door to door, or an hour actually on the train?
reading2012

Post by reading2012 »

Thank you Stevew61 and Aliportico for your prompt responses.

Yes looks like I am panicking as I didn't dig as deep as before to extract more info.

We are in maidenhead so I think it would be one hour door to door.

We are doing two papers every week..(but are away for a week and a half towards the end of the month)with emphasis on English. Is that enough. NVR we have left for last few weeks...as he has almost always scored above 95'% in a few tests on that one.
VR and Maths he manages above/around 90% . English he scores above 85% and in some tests has gone upto 90%.
Most of these are GL assessments.

I have booked him for *** Advertising Censored *** mock tests for VR and English.

Could you please tell me if we are doing enough?

Are we doing ok
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Maidenhead isn't too far - there will be other boys (and Kendrick girls) coming in on that train.

Preparation sounds good - perhaps try some different English papers, as that will be the toughest on the day I expect! My son thought the comprehension was okay, but the vocab and spelling are demanding.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

As above be prepared for a different style of paper.

The reasoning paper in recent years has had a lot of information type questions which has thrown some boys who were expecting a more traditional mixed VR paper?
reading2012

Post by reading2012 »

Could you suggest any specific publication for English tests? We have been doing GL almost exclusively!
We have not seen a lot of poems, though! Any ideas on that one?

Stevew61- what are information type questions?

Many thanks!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I couldn't advise re English, I'm afraid, haven't looked at enough. I just know that last year's paper was harder than the GL practice papers. Have a browse.

Information questions on the reasoning paper - logic-y/mathsy word problems, rather than straightforward VR. Stuff about people painting houses at different rates, I seem to remember. My son thought that was an improvement as it was all just sums!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now