Slough system

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumamia

Slough system

Post by mumamia »

We live in Bucks and are thinking of applying to one of the Slough Grammar schools but I am rather confused by the admissions system.
As I understand it, Langley, Herschel and St Bernard’s are in a consortium while Slough Grammar does it’s own thing.

What is the admissions procedure? Is it separate from Bucks?

Ta!
chad

Post by chad »

Hi mumamia

Langley, St Bernards, Slough & Herschel are all in the consortium..... and I believe they all sit the same 11+ exam. St Bernards gives preference to Roman Catholics.
You apply directly to your first choice 'slough' school to sit the 11plus exam and also include the 'slough' school in your choice of schools (on the Bucks CAF).
The following may be useful.

http://www.slough.gov.uk/documents/seco ... ssions.pdf

This was last years document but Pages 8/9/10 I would think still applies.

The other moderator on the Berks forum (Catherine) lives in Bucks and her child is at a 'Slough' grammar. She has been through the system of applying to Slough from Bucks so may be able to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Please post any other questions you may have. :)
Waddle

Slough consortium

Post by Waddle »

I had heard that Slough Grammar was/is coming out of the Slough Consortium and will indeed be 'doing there own thing'. Not sure whether this is now fact, or still just rumour - the best thing to do is to ring them and ask.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I think that the document Chad is referring to is for 2007 entries. The new secondary admission guide isn't published yet, and I expect it to be slightly different because the government rules have changed.
As for Slough Grammar being out of the consortium(and also Langley), I have also heard rumours a few months back, but nothing more.

I have to assume that you have read the thread 'Slough grammars admissions' about the system until this year. One big difference with the Bucks system is that the selection was done according to the 11+ score, whilst in Bucks it is done by distance to the schools. I don't think that this will change, but who knows...

You definitely need to contact the schools if you want the latest information.
Also, Slough Grammar traditionally holds an information evening in July.
mum

Post by mum »

11+ Admission for 2008 Entry
Herschel Grammar School, Langley Grammar School and
St Bernard’s Catholic Grammar School
Consortium of Grammar Schools

Herschel Grammar School will be working in a new consortium of three grammar schools for the 11+ entry for 2008. The new Consortium will be made up of Herschel Grammar School, Langley Grammar School and St Bernard’s Catholic Grammar School. The 11+ testing procedure will stay the same as in the previous years and it is explained in the information sheet ‘Advice to Parents’ that is posted on this website.

Slough Grammar School will be running independently of the new Consortium of Herschel Grammar School, Langley Grammar School and St Bernard’s Catholic Grammar School. Their tests and procedures will be different and the tests will not be comparable to the 11+ NFER tests of the Consortium. The Consortium of grammar schools will run its own registration form for the 11+ tests. Application must be made separately to Slough Grammar School for registration for 11+ testing.
http://herschel.slough.digitalbrain.com ... es%202008/

read the above while browsing through Herschel's website..........
mum
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

interesting... thanks mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now