Reading Boys School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
singh

Reading Boys School

Post by singh »

Hi There

Am very confused. Does Reading Boys School use a combination of NFER Nelson and in-house exams. Does anyone know. Kendrkc use NFER VR and NVR ppaers. Will Reading Boys follow suit.

Anyone know?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi singh,

You should find the answer here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1687

Hope this helps

Catherine
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Does Reading Boys School use a combination of NFER Nelson and in-house exams. Does anyone know. Kendrkc use NFER VR and NVR ppaers. Will Reading Boys follow suit.

Yes, Reading grammar school use a combination of in-house and NFER, whilst Kendrick use NFER VR and NVR.
Unless things change this year, Reading School will probably remain the same.

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Welcome to the mad 11+ world Singh,

The advice above is based on what we know or think or, our kids think they remembered. The schools websites will publish information in the next few months, once this years results have been decided.

My latest theory on Reading results, gathering all the information from different sources indicate you need to score an average of 81% ( varies from year to year ) to be in the top one hundred offered a place. This equates to the 170 pass mark quoted for a previous year and adding up the papers question count.

Maths 50
VR 85
English 65
Essay? 10

Total 210

So 170/210 gives 81%, supported by a verbal quote from admissions' office that you need to be scoring 80% plus in practice papers. Also in line with other schools that use a mixture of papers who publish more detailed information.

However if it's 170/200=85% then I give up.

Roll on mid-night 28th of February when we all try to log on and get our results and then play chase the postman in the morning. :)

I have several pages of data and graphs ( normal distribution ) trying to predict our result, depending on my mood I can get any result. :cry:

Good luck Singh.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Roll on mid-night 28th of February when we all try to log on and get our results and then play chase the postman in the morning.
The good news is that February only has 28 days! :)
Also, friends who have been through this before, advise Reading will post results direct to you, which will arrive on the 1st March, so you won't have to wait on LEA post, which by all accounts is variable :?

I'll be in your position next year, a leap year, where the 1st falls on a Saturday! I think I'll book a holiday for then; should help to make the time go quicker :wink:

My fingers are crossed for you both!

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

BW,

Thanks for your finger crossing.

Having flash backs to the Reading School open evening when they reeled of some statistics about the previous years intake. 100 boys from seventy different schools, 35 children were the only child from their state school to get an offer, I did not make notes but recall thinking this looks tough.

stevew61
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Two weeks to go.
Also keeping my fingers crossed for you, stevew61.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Having flash backs to the Reading School open evening when they reeled of some statistics about the previous years intake. 100 boys from seventy different schools, 35 children were the only child from their state school to get an offer, I did not make notes but recall thinking this looks tough.
OK, you have to stop that!! You're scaring me now. You've done all you can, as has your son.
I went to one of those last September too. Will be going with my son, this year :( . I remember them saying something similar, but hadn't caught all the stats, luckily! I often wonder what our kids would say if they knew, what their parents go through?

This roller coaster isn't much fun, but as Catherine said only two more weeks, or 13.33 days left (as of now).

Fingers still crossed :)

BW
kxangel

Post by kxangel »

Is this the only way we can the results, by waiting for the post?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Kxangel, from what I've read, if you submitted your CAF application online, you will get an email, or will be able to check results online on the 1st March.
I have several pages of data and graphs ( normal distribution ) trying to predict our result, depending on my mood I can get any result. Crying or Very sad
Stevew61, just thought of something after reading another thread.
Have you adjusted your data and graphs, to include 30+(guessing here!!!) children that will not accept a place due to take up of scholarship/bursary and public school places as these don't have to be accepted or declined till the 5th of March.
Odds May look better??

:)

BW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now